Deck removal help please...

trublvr

Recruit
Hello,

My 20' Seagull Nautico Explorar has developed a leak in the port hull 34 gallon tank. It measures 13" x 53". I would like to cut out the deck to replace it and use the piece I cut out as "hatch". Are there any pre-fabricated (by hole size) kits or modifications that would allow me to "re-use" the piece? Something that could be screwed into the deck with a lip that would allow me to use the cut out piece? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Deck removal help please...

I don't know of any standard hatches that size, at least of a type that would allow them to be fit into a boat that small.

I'd recommend you use the piece you cut out as a "soft patch" in your hull... basically, you add some minimal structure to the hole like a lip and seal, and possibly a half rib to ensure the structure of that hull won't suffer due to having a hatch there.

Then you can essentially screw the patch in place on top of a rubber seal so it's removable later. If you cover the joint of the patch to hull with something like vinyl edging it'll be quite waterproof and you can pull the patch off with ten minutes' work to check the tank.

Whatever you do, if you remove a piece of hull that large and don't permanently glass it back, you should carefully look at reinforcing that hull section, because you're going to be placing extra stress on the section you don't remove due to a lack of full support from the "missing" piece.

Erik