1986 Force 85 hp idle mixture screws

wimmerjv

Recruit
I bought a 1986 capri bayliner with an 85 HP Force engine. The head gasket was blown and the carbs were a mess. There was also a problem with the fuel pump but I got everything fixed and actually got the boat in the water last season.
I followed the mechanics recommendation on storing the engine. I had had the boat in the water several times this year and the engine runs OK but I am having two issues that I think are related.

1. When idling after the engine is warmed up I try to maneuver around the boat launch but the engine keeps dying .

2. When I have been operating at Full throttle and slow down to an idle, when I try to go back to full throttle the engine bogs down.

I think both have to do with fuel starvation but when I try to tune up the idle mixture to solve a problem with the idle the SELOC manual doesn't show the location of the idle mixture adjustment screws. I wonder if it is located through the air intake but I don't want to screw up the settings.

I had the carbs cleaned late last season and followed the mechanics recommendation on storing the engine. I had had the boat in the water several times this year and the engine runs OK

john from md

Commander
Re: 1986 Force 85 hp idle mixture screws

The idle mixture screws are located in the front of the carbs on top of the intake. The intake manifold should have three rubber plugs. Remove the plugs and you can get to the mixture screws. Don't go any leaner than 1 turn out or you risk burning a piston.

Also, make sure your carb/timing sync is correct. If the timing is not coming in sync with the throttle plates, the engine will bog.

John