Please Help Wiring issue

Brett127

Recruit
A friend ofmine asked me to help him change an ignition switch on his boat which is a Crest Pontoon Model 16 Mav008260481. It has a 50hp Mercury 500 with a thunderbolt ignition. He thinks it's a 1969. The serial # is 4078369.
I stopped at his house a couple of weeks ago and found that another person had unhooked his ignition. The wires were numbered 1-7. The old switch has a red wire going to an A. A pink wire going to E. A black wire going to E, a black wire going to D, and a black and a white wire going to F. I believe the Red is the constant 12 volt from the battery. The old switch had a separate button for the choke which was on F along with a white wire. After an hour of trying things. I had the motor cranking over nicely and I had the choke working. I hooked the pink wire to the new switch on M or Magneto and it actually fired up. It stalled pretty quick and now it won't even turn over. The solenoid clicks in but the starter won't crank now and it makes a whining noise. I feel as though I must have wired something wrong and now I feel responsible for hurting this boat. I would really apprecaite any help anyone could give me. It would help greatly if I was sure of the wiring schematic. Again, any help will be greatly appreciated. Brett

Brett127

Recruit
Re: Please Help Wiring issue

I appreciate the help, I'll see what I can do with it. Thank you very much. Any more help you can provide would be appreciated.

Brett127

Recruit

I'm a little worried since I don't have a couple of the wire colors listed. A yellow wire mainly.

Moody Blue

Captain

Is the controller a MerControl unit?

Are you replacing the original ignition switch in the control box?

Can you provide a list of terminal identifications from the new ignition switch?

stratos201s

Seaman Apprentice

i have this same issue after hooking up the battery terminals backwards. Please let me know if you figure this out. Thanks.