propper proppering advice!!!!

oceanbarrel

Seaman
Ive searched the forums and the websites, i need some real world adivce. I have a 96 sea ray 190 with a 4.3 mercruiser and and alpha 1 outdrive. I normally have 5-6 people in my boat. I dont cruise around, I only use my boat to wakeboard, ski, etc. Im not overly concerned with fuel mileage but I wouldnt complain if i got better. I was out this weekend and ran over something and bent my prop. I bought this boat at the beginning of the month and the prop that was on there was a three blade aluminum 19 pitch. I know its at least 15" in diameter and they removed the anode that hangs down behind the prop. The prop wizard recommends a 14 1/4 17 pitch prop. I havent seen to many people on here running a 17 pitch prop. Is it better to go down to the 14 1/4 prop and put that anode back on. My boat seemed to do ok with the prop the old owner had on it but I dont have anything to base it on. This is my third boat, but my second one was a bayliner (which i bought new) and it was a piece of crap that never really worked right. I dont care about top speed i dont need to go fast. Has anyone ran with a 17 pitch prop?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: propper proppering advice!!!!

Hello,Your got us some of the info we need.I would say the 17" prop would be for a heravy load and water sports and you would have to watch the rpm.
Please read the stickies at the top of the page and try again.Try to get us as much as possible.
Would be very good to have the max rpm and speed with one aboard and with your typical load. How was the performance with your present prop?
Normally you select a prop based on your present performance and what you want to accomplish.Usually prop diameter simply follows the prop design
and is not a primary consideration.The 15 may just have been what was available or perhaps they were looking to get a prop with less tendency to ventilate.In replacing the prop I would go back to something with a more typical diameter. Again not useing diameter as the primary consideration.

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: propper proppering advice!!!!

If what you had runs well, stay with it, go with the Solas Amita 3 15.3" X 19 pitch. (if you want to stay alum.) (There are 2 Amitas - you want the big 15 3/10" version)
My boat is similar to yours and it likes the big prop.