1988 Johnson 25 HP (J25RCCA) Throttle hard to turn, won't go to full throttle?!

mgingras

Recruit
:(I have owned the 1988 Johnson 25 HP (J25RCCA) for 5 yrs and it has always run perfect. All of a sudden on Clear Lake, CA last weekend the throttle became very hard to turn and the motor would not go to full speed unless I pushed on the throttle arm on the motor? There seems to be something binding?! Any suggestions on what to check or how to loosen up? Or do I need a new throttle cable?Thanks

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Johnson 25 HP (J25RCCA) Throttle hard to turn, won't go to full throttle?!

Sounds like throttle cable. To test, disconnect cable from throttle arm and see if it's still hard to turn from the tiller handle. If you had recently been "under the hood" and bent the cable that would cause it, or if the plastic sheath got a hole in it from wear over time that could also cause it.

Be sure to let us know what you find!

mgingras

Recruit
Re: 1988 Johnson 25 HP (J25RCCA) Throttle hard to turn, won't go to full throttle?!

Thanks very much for the reply! You were right on! :D I disconnected the throttle cable and there was still binding. On further investigation I found that the cable was actually frayed at the tiller pivet point, with 3-4 wires broken and had rust showing. Then I realized I had actually wrapped the area with rubber tape three years ago when I first noticed it, since the throttle was still working fairly normally at that time. :redface: I just forgot about it and didn't make the connection when I had trouble recently! Throttle cable assembly on order, only $56 to fix. Thanks again!!! :)