Oil Consumption on 4.3L

WildWoolyB

Cadet
Hi boat experts. I have 98 Chaparral with 4.3L mercruiser. I bought it this spring. Had an oil change done when winterized. I've had the boat out 20-25 times already this spring. I noticed my oil is down almost a quart. Should this motor use oil? Is this normal oil use? thanks. from what I've been told the boat did not have many hours on it and the engine and boat looked immaculate.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Oil Consumption on 4.3L

How much time did you spend with the throttle wide open?

Check compression, that'll give you some information as to what kind of shape your cylinders/pistons/rings are in.

WildWoolyB

Cadet

I was running it alot at wot @4800 rpm's. Would that explain the oil consumption or should this motor not burn any oil? thanks.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Alot" at WOT isn't a great idea. Not that it won't take it, but 4800 rpm for extended periods of time is still up there for a run-of-the-mill v6.

That's probably why you're short on oil. I'd do a compression test anyway, though.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Do the comp test, and back off the throttle a little and see if you consumption is eliminated.

My '96 uses ZERO oil, but it doesn't get hammered on for extended periods either.

Bondo

Staff member

I noticed my oil is down almost a quart. Should this motor use oil? Is this normal oil use?

Nope,.... My motor has over 1000hrs on it,+ uses No oil between changes...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

eagh.... I'm from the school that says all boat engines drink a little oil because of the load they are under.

That being said....

The newer the engine the less oil it will drink

The better quality oil you use, and weight, the less it will drink

The older the engine, the more it will drink

The higher the rpm you run, the more it will drink

If you run low quality oil, or low viscosity, it will drink oil.

Do an oil change and run the Merc oil (25W-40) and see if your still drinking oil.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

That's alot of drinking
smiley-eatdrink005.gif