97 ocean runner stalling

My port side engine runs great but almost every time I go from forward or reverse, or just from gear to idle with this engine it goes down to a few hundred RPM's and dies. The idle RPM in gear reads 950, Every once in a while it will recover, but mostly it dies. I have replaced the primer bulb and hose, spin on filter/separator and in line filter. I checked the primer solenoid for a possible leak while not engaged and it passes. (I put a vacuum guage on the largest of the three ports and held vacuum for about three minutes until I was satisfied) My engines run off the same fuel tank and the starboard side runs fine. I replaced the plugs at the beginning of the season and it did it before and after the change. This thing is already a nightmare to dock, I don't need this to add to it. I also backed off the idle timing screw a full turn but don't know much about it so I stopped until I could hear from someone who knows more. Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 97 ocean runner stalling

what HP? larger ones have a neutral cutout switch, to easy shifting. could be out of adjustment, or going bad. the switch kiils one bank on the motor.

if you are having a problem spark, compression, or fuel/air problems on the other back the engine will die, also

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Make sure your swift switch is not sticking. Starboard side of the motor, right below where the throttle and shift cable connects.
If that checks out, do a link and sync. Then make sure the throttle and shift cables are adjusted per the manual.

They are 200 HP, is the switch adjustable or do they just get replaced?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

No adjustment per say. It eithers works or it doesn't but...if the cables are not adjusted correctly the switch actuates at the wrong time and kills the motor. The adjustment is pretty finicky.