So what's it worth?

blackshear

Recruit
I have a 1984 Chapparall 238. Its been a good boat. I've owned it for 10 years. Unfortunately, it has developed a pretty serious case of transom rot that has progressed into some of the stringer tops as well. The boat was used last year and is a complete mechanically sound ship with a low time engine and sterndrive. I really looking for ideas as to what it would be worth as a project or should I just part it out.

Thanks

Attachments

• boat5.JPG
    boat5.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: So what's it worth?

Parting it out will get you out from under it. Even a good sound repair will cost you money in materials and time that you will not recover.

Look at nadaguides to see what it is worth in good shape to get a proper idea,

blackshear

Recruit

Thanks Bob,

That's what I was thinking. I don't plan to fix it for myself. In fact I have already replaced it with a deck boat that I thought had a cracked block. My plan was to put my motor in the deckboat, but it turned out all it really needed was a set of manifolds. So now I still have the old tug and a shiny mercuiser 260 and a nice running deckboat. Any idea what the engine and sterndrive would be worth. I doubt I can find that in NADA.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ebay / Craigslist or sell it as a project boat. Do a google global craigslist search and see what people are asking

Google this Engine Stern drive : Craigslist and you will get all the results.