Bravo 3 dual prop

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a 1997 Rinker 232 captiva cuddy with a 454 7.4l bravo 3 dual prop. I dont know much about boats and out drives, so I'm asking the pros and cons on the boat and the bravo 3 dual prop.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bravo 3 dual prop

In the late 1990's-early 2000's there were corrosion issues on some of the Bravo 3's. White chalky areas, blistered paint and pitted areas on the outdrive would be the classic indications of a corrosion problem. Also the steering arm-gimbal ring bolt connection point could be worn (usually a lack of maintenance issue but requires $'s to fix) and the outdrive can be moved side to side several inches each way with no movement of the steering wheel.

These comments are not intended to scare you away from the Bravo 3 as there are 1000's of them in use and problem free (including mine) but rather to inform you of what to be aware of. Merc addressed the corrosion issue with a new carrier bearing assy, continuity straps, and sacrificial anode changes.

TilliamWe

Banned

Now for the pros:

Better out of the hole acceleration.
Less time to plane
Lower planing speed
Ability to hold plane longer when slowing down
Less prop blowout in tight turns
Less wander at idle speeds
Better control in reverse (more immediate direction change, and turns better in both directions.)

The steering arm thing is a potential issue with any Mercruiser drive. And is actually very easy to maintain on a Bravo series, by lossening, cleaning and retorquing a u-bolt. But as mentioned, if already worn out, very costly to replace, since the motor must be removed

1997 would be a year to check for corrosion. If the boat has not been left in the water for long periods of time, it's not going to be any worse than any other 1997 drive. If the boat has been left in the water, you need to remove the props (special prop wrenches required) and inspect the rear bearing carrier very closely. If it is corroded back too far, it will allow the seals to leak the oil out of the drive. And the carrier is a $300+ part, let alone the couple of hours for a pro to change it out.

Good luck

BTW, a 232 with a 7.4 and a B3 should perform very well.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I have a '97 Bravo III on my 5.7 powered 22 foot Larson. Its got somewhere around 300 hours on it (key was left on twice till the batteries ran down) Its in great shape, always fresh water though. Its tight, steering is responsive and as far as performance, there isnt a comparison to my old Alpha 1. My 22 footer handles like my old 17 foot, both 5.7 powered.

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the feedback, I will make sure I check for those things and or have a mechanic check.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I really like the way it pushes my boat. 1986 26ft wellcraft aftcabin 1996 bravo3-454.
anodes need to be replaced regularly and proper maitenance like anything else.

Twinwall

Recruit

I have a Regal 2200 bowrider (2008) fitted with 350 Mag and Bravo 111, all 2008. The boat has only done 15 hrs (in fresh water only) and has corrosion problems on the aluminium skeg and stainless prop (the one nearest the drive housing), there is also corrosion showing on the prop ring at the shaft entrance to the housing. All this has appeared just sitting on the trailor over winter, as this boat has never been moored.
It is actually quite bad and has just been brought to the attention of the Mercruiser importer for the UK.
I'll let you know how it goes and if anyone would like any photo's please let me know.

Philster

Captain

For comparison:

Cruise economy: With a 502 EFI (virtually identical to 496), I get 2.5 mpg @ 3600 RPM @ 41 MPH.

26.9 feet @ 4900 lbs dry and 3-blade Mirage SS 25 pitch prop.