200xp only WOT when primer is held in

Model VE200SLESE 1990 year model. Engine is a little rough to idle. When throttle is advanced seems to be choking out. But if you hold the primer in the whole time, it will quickly get on plane and turn over 6000 rpm on its way to 70mph. So that being said it tells me the ignition system is fine. The motor sounds very good. It seems I have a fuel delievery problem. When looking at the carbs with the silencer off, when going WOT it seems the fuel does not have enough pressure coming out of the high speed jets, but when you hit the primer there is a noticeable increase in fuel coming from the high speed jets the pattern becomes more of a fan shape in comparison to without the primer engaged. I completly dissassembled the VRO last night it did not appear to have any problems. It has a new fuel filter. Also new fuel line from the bulb to the VRO, as last night found leak in line just past the bulb. Please help me in the right direction.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 200xp only WOT when primer is held in

Stop running it like that, you have a clogged carb, or a fuel delivery problem somewhere. You will lean out, and damage that pistion, cylinder if you keep running it that way.

All 6 carbs are flowing the same pattern wise when primed and the same when not primed. I realize its a fuel delievery problem. But it is not a carb problem, if it was a carb problem it wouldnt pull to 6000 without hesitation.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Holding that primer open will deliver a lot of full to the back side of the carb throat. No matter what, find out what the cause is. Did you take the air box off to look in each carb throat?

Yes the silencer is off. The jet I was looking at are the high speed jets in front of the throttle blades. They will produce the fan shape the should when the primer is pushed. If the primer is not pushed its almost like the dont have enough pressure the atomize the fuel and it sorta spritz out versus spray out. Once again all six look the same when primed and not primed.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Those are the high speed nozzles, they have nothing to do with the primer. Sounds like you have some clogged carbs', again, don't run it like that.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can't tell by looking and it appears its not a high speed issue, so the main jets aren't the problem, the issue is accelerating from low RPM and transitioning into high RPM (different portion of the carb). The carbs need to be taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt.

I know that they are the high speed nozzles. Why is it when I push the primer the fuel spays out of the high speed nozzles. It has 4 times the flow out of the high speed nozzles when I ush the primer. No primer no fuel from high speed nozzles.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

No matter what, a full carb service and rebuild is in order. Check the entire fuel delivery system out as well. re-make / check all the connections. Did you try it since you repaired that leak ???

Yes no change after the leak was repaired. If the carbs were at fault it would not be pushing a 19 foot boat to 70 at 6000 plus. What I really need to figure out is why I am having a fuel pressure problem. Fuel pressure definitly increase when the primer is pushed. I know this because the fuel from the high speed jets goes from a dribble to a spray. Can anyone explain to me why that is.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

2 fuel pumps on that one or just one ??? yes / no ???

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Its not a pressurized fuel system that forces fuel into the carb throat, the pump only sucks fuel from the tank and puts it under a small amount of pressure to the float needles, past that point its all gravity and vacuum.
The primer just bypasses the floats and jets and the fuel pours into the carb.

If you mean it won't get to 6000 RPM with out the primer pushed, then the floats or main jets need attention. If you mean it only has a problem when you try to accelerate, but at high speed it runs fine with out the primer, then its a different part of the carb. What it comes down to though, is you need to rebuild the carbs no matter what the exact portion of the carb has an issue.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The fuel is flowing faster thru the carb's because the engine is turning faster with the fuel flowing thru the primer. Let off the primer, Run until you here a loud bang, then the RPM's should drop off.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yes no change after the leak was repaired. If the carbs were at fault it would not be pushing a 19 foot boat to 70 at 6000 plus. What I really need to figure out is why I am having a fuel pressure problem. Fuel pressure definitly increase when the primer is pushed. I know this because the fuel from the high speed jets goes from a dribble to a spray. Can anyone explain to me why that is.
I think you should take the "Hint" that everyone has given you so far that you do not want to hear.
Rebuild the carb's
If you know better then do not post asking for advice.

That sounds good that everyone agrees it's the carbs can anyone recommend a rebuild kit? Evinrudes site shows 2 different kits for that engine.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

When the motor stops, you'll be in for a rebuilt PH ... enjoy it while it runs!