Evinrude 50 1997 with Oil in float chambers and wont start

Markjmorris70

Recruit
I have a 1997 50 hp 2 cylinder engine that will not start. It has been standing since last season, ie September

i initially had probelms getting fuel through but stripped down the VRO and pumped fuel through to clear a blockage

I tried to start the engine with the inlet manifold not fitted and it woudl not start, however I put my hand over the top carbs inlet to check for suction and the engine fired up and revved really high, despite being in neutral and with the choke on.

I will fit the inlet manifold tomorrow but there is a tube coming off the bottom right hand side of the manifild and I can't see where the other end should go to

Any ideas??

regards

Mark Morris

Last edited:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude 50 1997 with Oil in float chambers and wont start

If you run the engine out of gas with the oil line hooked up, you will pull the carb's full of oil. One thing you can do. Take a sqeeze bottle of gasoline with a plastic straw, such as from a WD-40 can. Start, and run the engine on this until you have drawn the oil from the carb's. You are going to see a lot of smoke, but you don't have to take any thing apart.

Markjmorris70

Recruit

Thanks I will try that

The problem has moved on a little

I have cleared the oil and got decent mix to the carbs and it started when I had the inlet manifold removed but only when I put my hand across the top carb ( Iwas checking fro suction)

The engine revved like crazy and then died away

I am going to have another play today, when I have put the mainfold back on etc

rgds

Markjmorris70

Recruit

Just tried it again, with the inlet housing fitted, and it has fired up really well, little smokey but i suspect that is due to the excess oil in the carbs.

Will get it serviced properly so hopefully everything will be OK with it