1992 capri with 3.0L got a couple Q's

snowthrower

Seaman Apprentice
Hey there, I have a 1992 capri 18' and was working on it before the season gets going full bore. I was going to go around with a grease gun like I used to do with with my old 1967 mercruiser 120 but I found only two zerks on the trim pivot and none on the steering pivots on the outdrive, is there a way to lube those two points? Heck my old one even had one on the steering cable...

I was also wondering were guys pull from on these boats, I have a tower for wakeboarding and I use it for skiing as well, but the kids want to use the tube and for the last two years the kids have wanted to use the tube and I just always " forgot " it. There is a center cleat above the platform on the back, but it's not a ski eye, I have noticed that boats of the same body style have ski eye there depending on year but there is not much backing this cleat and don't want to rip it out, the previos owner said that is were he pulled from. Are there changes in later years? are people just installing the ski eye in place of the cleat ( the cleat would work for me ). Should I just settle down and pull them. I don't like pulling from the trailering eyes with a y harness because it drags the rope through the water making for an unpredictable tow since they are so low.

Also there is some slop in my steering rack ( about an inch or two when wiggled back and forth ) and just poked my head under there for a second and did not see a way to tighten this up, have any of you all had this and how did you fix it?

This may sound silly but what is the model designation for this boat? You know is it a 180-185, it is a 3.0L I/O if that matters

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1992 capri with 3.0L got a couple Q's

1850 is a 18' I/O, probably what you have. look thru the threads in here, and call the bayliner phone number with ur hull number and they will tell you exactly what you have.

As for the tow point, I removed the cleat and put a normal ski eye in place of it. works much easier, imo. I think wake towers tell you not to pull tubes off of them from what i understand. The ski eye upgrade is easy, I had to drill out slightly larger than what i had, but i made it fit pretty quickly. might be a good chance to make sure that area is reinforced/braced properly too, thats what i did.