HELP, Wife is gonna kill me...

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Wife went out of town for the weekend to visit her sister. (Asked if care to go along, Buwhahahahaha, um pardon me, no thank you dear.)

So I have no big plans and tinkered around this morning putting an outdrive back on. Finished that up and tested everything and all looks good and I'll be putting it on the market next week.

Started tinkering with the next project until lunch and came in to make a spot of lunch and check my email. Ah heck, as long as I'm checking email may as well see if there is anything new on Craigslist.

Wait, whats this, a 97 Chris Craft (Concept) with a 5.7 that wasn't winterised and has a cracked block. Hmmm, its only 20 miles away so heck, nothing else going on so I figure what does it hurt to go look, right??? You know, maybe I should take some cash, just in case.

Go over, boat looks terrific, trailer is like new, asked the guy what he wants for it. "Well, I don't know, the marina told me it would cost $4K to replace the engine." Ok, so what do you want out of it? "Well, I was told the trailer alone is worth $500 and I figure the boats got to be worth $1,200 so $1,700".

Yeah, you know I could not resist, its sitting down by my shed. The wife called an hour or so ago and I just could not find it in me to tell her. I figure she'll see it tomorrow when she gets home. :D :D :D

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: HELP, Wife is gonna kill me...

Yeah your in for it.
The boat Im using right now is one of those "Im just going to look at it" boats.
She will get happy when you make a profit on it as it sounds like you got a good deal.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hmmmm too bad..... leave a note telling your wife following your untimely demise that Bob_VT will haul away the horrible boat :D

zach103

Commander

just tell her you bought it just to fix that engine and when you do your gunna sell it for more money so you can have more money and go on the boat for a nice romantic night more often

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a spare room if you need to lay low for a while. :)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bubba remember it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission :D. Hide it behind the shde that may buy you a couple days then you can say what that old thing been there a long time dont you remember Honey :D.

Rick

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I hope you got a comfortable couch. Maybe you should buy her a bracelet or something to soften the blow. If it's real nice, while she's admiring it (and not paying attention to what you're saying), tell her you got the boat.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

How many boats do you have? If you have 3 or more, you just need to constantly rearrange them in you tinkering. Don't park them all in a neat row, instead place them in random places around the yard. That way, since they are being moved around all the time, when one comes or goes, it is harder to pick out the difference in the yard, unless she goes out and counts every morning.

puddle jumper

Captain

Simple all you have to say is "Look what i bought you dear". Or what she would say if it was her "that old thing";):D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

So .... Bubba ..... when does the construction start on the new kitchen that your wife has been wanting for the last five years? ;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

lol Bubba..Let us know how this works out when she comes back...

This reminds me of my Pops..He had H.A.S. Handgun Aquistion Syndrome (25 plus handguns) But my Mom disliked them...He would find one he wanted in a pawn shop or gun store and quietly pay on it till he brought it home and into the gun drawer it went...

I remember he always would show me his newest "prescription" and always with the wink and the "don't tell Mom" warning..

When she did happen to notice a new gun in the house, usually coming home from the range or her walking into the garage while we were cleaning them..He always would dismiss her question with a "This old thing? Honey I showed you this a couple years ago....

Deep down I know she new better, but let him have his fun..
Thanks for the memory!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I found that with firearms, once i got to a certain point, she could no longer tell them apart or keep track of the count... if your shed is big enough, you're on your way.

unfortunately... I kept the toys and let the wife go... and yea, good for a spare bedroom...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My other hobby is O gauge model trains and there's a guy I know who has a major train-buying addiction much to his wife's shagrin. He has a T-shirt that says "My wife lets me buy all the trains I can hide". He has shelves for them that are a couple trains deep and he always sticks the new ones behind old ones till the heat dies down.

Anyway, don't feel too bad for Bubba. He and his wife! buy and sell boats all the time so I'm sure his wife won't mind this one especially since it was such a good deal.

aspeck

Staff member

Guns are much easier to sneak into the house! LOL!

So, Bubba, did the wife return? Are you still alive?

I can't believe Bob would be so rude and insensitive to your plight as to try to profit from your untimely demise. Some people! (BTW, it is A - R - T S - P - E .... ;):p)

Sounds like a good buy! Congrats.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

1) you need offsite storage. i mean a hiding place
2) tell her it is someone's boat you are working on etc.

done both, works great. plus I am always moving things around like the other post, especially outboards in our 2 barns. she never takes count.

Lately I have been doing more outboards, so easy to hide (in comparison to a boat LOL)

JZammetti

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice, glad to see I am not the only one who has done that, except mine was a motorcycle that was only after looking a 1/2 ownership in an airplane.

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Naw, I did that 2 years ago. (Built on to the farm house and doubled the square footage.) But, she has been making sound about a whirlpool. Hmm...

WELL THERE'S YOUR SOLUTION!!! Go to Tractor Supply, get an oval galvanized stock tank for 70 bucks, another 45 bucks on a stock tank heater, go to the nursery and get some potted plants to put around it, take the outboard from the latest project and stick it in the other end and BAM! Instant whirlpool!

No wait...tell her it's a SPA.......sounds more exotic. :D

take the outboard from the latest project and stick it in the other end and BAM! Instant whirlpool!

Great idea. Just be careful to keep your toes away from that spinning propeller!!!

Sounds like your wife is a pretty darned good sport. In order to buy my current boat I carried out negotiates with my wife beforehand. I wound up selling some guns, and had about $500 over and above what the boat cost that she got to spend on whatever she wanted. (The part she'll never know about is how much money went into materials for restoration and repairs on the boat.)