What type carpet for cruiser cabin?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For the sole (I think that's what the floor inside the cabin is called) of a cruiser what type carpet is best to use? I have done the thin carpet for my open bow, but now may be doing a 33' cruiser.

Is it still a "marine" carpet? It doesn't need the same UV resistance as outside carpet, right? Would I use a carpet pad like in a home?

I am looking for a less-expensive but nice carpet - as i plan to sell the boat. Thye current carpet is fairly plush but worn out and mostly just too dark. I'm not sure what's the right choice for the cabin. I know what I see on the deck (outside) of carpeted boats isn't "cozy" enough for down below.

Also, where to buy? Do they sell this here?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What type carpit for cruiser cabin?

You have a private message.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyone able to give me some ideas on this? I don't think the job looks too bad, just want to know what to put down.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Have you considered no carpet at all?

There are some laminates and even some high end vinyl (sorry not available at lowes/home depot) that would do well in that environment.

We have a local building supply place that carries a line of vinyl, that has been unsed IN pools, I figure, if it can hold up completely submerged, then a cabin sole should be no problem.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What type carpet for cruiser cabin?

yeah, if it was for me I'd consider no carpet. But to sell the boat most expect a nice carpet - and the cost is manageable. I don't want to over complicate it so I am just going to use a lighter colored, decent marine carpet.

Thx.