Fuel/ water separator technical question

Shadow66

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have done searches for this question about FW separators and cannot find any answers.

Ok, so I realize water is heavier than gasoline and the separator allows the water to fall to the bottom of the filter.

But if you unscrew the canister (spin on type, non bowl) should there be ANY fluid in there at all? In other words, does gasoline flow through the canister as well?

I have drained the tank, down to nothing and filled with fresh fuel. The engine is running ok now but when I ran it for 10 minutes today I removed the canister (10 micron 90gph Yamaha) and it was filled to the top. I poured it into a clear bag and wated an hour and there is NO separation I can see. It looks like pure gasoline...Whew...I just don't get it.

Now I have had this filter on since February and only have done 7 hours on the boat, but it has filled up before and I never used a new one.

Main question: Could this filter be collecting gasoline now if it were defective even if there is no water in the tank...can a filter do that?

I am going to get a few new filters now. This Yamaha filter is a deep one and I am having an issue finding a new one in the boat stores near me like it, so I'll use the Racor or the Quicksilver.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Fuel/ water separator technical question

Yes, gasoline flows thru it too. Yamaha makes a good filter and 10 micron is what you should use.