motor locked up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice
1985 3.8L (225Hp) Galaxy with OMC.
Motor was running great at about 25 MPH then a load clunk and the engine stopped.
Thought it was the timing chain and gear, tore down to that and everything is good. I can turn the top of the motor but the bottom side is locked even with the plugs out. I know this is not good.... Is there anything else I can check before I pull the motor and have it rebuilt? I did pull the distrubitor all good there also.
If I pull it and rebuild it is there any thing special I need to know or will the rebuild be just like an auto rebuild?

I know my season is over for a while.

Thanks,

Dan

gloveslynn

Recruit
Re: motor locked up???

The motor on a 1988 OMC Cobra, Four Wins, Inboard/Outboard, Complete Upper Gearcase Assembly for OMC Cobra has locked up! Bought a water pump for it before this weekend and than the boat crapped out on Sunday on the lake. I was wondering the best way to handle this and the best place to look for a used complete upper gearcase assembly for this unit. I am in college still and don't have the kind of money to just buy a new one. I need an old boat that has one that someone doesn't use anymore. Am I on the right track and does anyone know of anyone?? It was my boyfriends grandfathers boat, so it is meaningful!:)

Shrub88

Seaman Apprentice

My 85 260hp was locked when we tried to start it for the first time this year. Pulled the starter and outdrive to eliminate those possibilties and when it still wouldn't turn, I pulled it out and found water had gotten in and rusted up cylinders 1 and 2.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dguess, your sure it is the engine and not drive problem. I think i would make sure a u joint has not come apart and locked things up.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

gloveslynn, First of all, Welcome Aboard! Now start your own thread. You confuse people by posting your thread on top of someone else's. You'll get the help you need that way and many more people will see the thread that way. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.