engine stalls when engaged please help

dave4321

Recruit
hi i am in need of help.i have twin evinrude 1998 90 hp .engines sat for about a year .both started up rough one got better and runs fine the other would not. i cleaned out the carbs but it back together with a repair kit and it still had some problems.here are the symptoms.in or out of the water in neutral i give it gas and cannot control the rpm.it will go up high and when i let the gas go it takes a few seconds to come down.in gear out of the water it will engage and run but in the water it will stall once put in gear and give some gas.any ideas would be very apprechiated

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: engine stalls when engaged please help

I'd almost bet that the small idles passages aren't perfectly clean and the engine is starving for fuel as soon as you put it into gear.

Carbs must be spotlessly clean, ALL passages, especially the little ones.

Spray carb cleaner thru each one, carefully poke the small wire from a breadbag wiretie thru then respray clear again. Blow dry with compressed air if available.

Make double sure that carb linkage is synchronized, that all carbs fully close and all slack is out of linkage such that all carbs begin to open perfectly together.

dave4321

Recruit

thanks for the reply, this was my first time on this web site .i will try that and let you know how she did

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

welcome, to iboats. i agree did you remove and clean the jets. also your idle speed has to be set in the water and with the motor in gear. sitting for a year, i would seriously consider changing impellers also.

dave4321

Recruit

well what do you know.i did what you said and she is back and running good .you guys are great.a couple of people already told me to change the impeller so im gonna tackle that today and its sweet fishing this weekend.i wanna thank you guys again .its nice to find a place where people give a dame

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

safe boating.