Help Me Please Electrical Issue

Wsalas

Cadet
I was wondering if you could help me out on my 1989 Vision VIP 1700. It has a OMC Cobra 2.3 liter TKO 4
The problem that I have is this. I get out on the lake and after turning the boat off and on approx 5 or 6 times the boat will not shut off, and the only way to shut it off is to pull the coil wire off. Here are a few things that I have done. First I did replace the ignition switch and I still had the problem. Second i put a new Solenoid in how ever when I was connecting the terminals up the boat it wanted to start up. I then disconnected the cables and put the old solenoid back in and it would start and shut off for a few times. I am at my whit?s end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Wsalas

Cadet
Re: Help Me Please

Oops,

I forgot to mention the boat is a 1989 Vision VIP 1700.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't tell me a thing about the engine!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Me Please Electrical Issue

There should be a large plug in the engine bay that connects the engine electrics to the harness that runs up to the control box. Disconnect that connector, inspect it and clean the contacts if there is evidence of corrosion. I suspect you have an intermittent connection issue in that connector. If it does not have this connector and the harness is connected to a terminal strip, then I would suspect a bad ignition switch. That can be checked with an ohm meter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Have you changed your alternator lately?

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the wire to your coil on the positive side and see if you have voltage when the ignition switch is off. If so rewire the coil to come off of the switched side of the starter solenoid so that it only has voltage when the key is in the on position.