Having problems getting engine aligned

Cptkid570

Ensign
Hey everyone.
I'm installing a 1985 Mercruiser 260 hp from my donor boat into my project boat and I'm having a hard time getting the engine aligned. I have the alignment tool and the most I can get it into the coupler is about 1/2".

I'm thinking that if I took out the gimbal bearing and then inserted the alignment tool, then I can at least eyeball it to get it closer, then put the gimbal bearing back in and give it the finishing touches. Is this a bad idea? I figure that the most I'll lose is that I'll have to buy a new gimbal bearing if I damage it during removal (it's new, so I'd think it should come out easily)

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Having problems getting engine aligned

hi kid....oops here....

check the shims on the motor, and the motor mounts.

if you gresae the alignment tool, put your thumb on the top of the tool, insert the tool and remove. you will see where the grease is worn.....then you can adjust that side of the motor.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

If you remove the gimbal bearing, you might as well replace it. It is most likely gonna be stuck, and you will have to damage the old one to remove it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Did you install the rear mounts and the hardware correctly

Cptkid570

Ensign

yes, rear mounts and hardware are installed correctly...

Thank you for your help everyone..

Oops -- why are you on here answering my question and not out working on your boat!!! :)

Bondo

Staff member

Oops -- why are you on here answering my question and not out working on your boat!!!

Ayuh,.... And Why the alias,..?? Different 'puter,..??

Kid,... Did you shift the bearing around in it's carrier at the start of the process,..??

Cptkid570

Ensign

Bond-o, I did shift bearing around in it's carrier.

I believe I've made some progress. 1. I was the one who installed the new gimbal bearing, so I suspected that maybe I didn't do that right. I'm reading up on the proper way of installing it. I don't think my notched out 2x4 is the way to go :)

So, I did pull out the gimbal bearing, luckily, it came out easily and I didn't damage it.

Next, and this is going to sound funny, but I have an old driveshaft that has been cut off at the u-joint, so, without the gimbal bearing in, I put the half driveshaft into the coupler and adjusted the engine height until the driveshaft looked centered. I used the old driveshaft because it seemed to fit more snug than the alignment tool. Once I'd finished "eyeballing" it, with the half-shaft still in, I stuck the gimbal bearing into the housing but didn't push it in very far...then, I adjusted so that the half shaft was aligned with the bearing.

The alignment was perfect with the gimbal bearing barely installed. So, I feel like I'm close. Now, I'm going to read up on the proper way to install the gimbal bearing. Can I install it with the alignment tool in so that it stays aligned? -- Instead of using the tool that the service manual suggests? I know that the gimbal bearing should just automatically fit in the gimbal housing, but my gimbal housing is kind of chewed up. Last gimbal bearing had a real hard time coming out and pretty much had to be drilled and chiseled out. So, I just want to make sure it goes in lined up.