1984 Johnson 90HP Starter?

mxdad290

Recruit
I have a 1984 Johnson 90 HP, recently on a trip out the boat was working fine while water skiing, until I stopped to pick up a skiier. Then it would not crank. I took the cover off and notice the small sprocket was not raising up to engage the flywheel. Is this a bad starter? What should I do to repair this. It this a easy repair? Expensive?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984 Johnson 90HP Starter?

surprisingly, the most common cause is undercharged battery. it's only inertia that lifts the bendix gear up to the flywheel, when the threaded shaft it's on suddenly starts spinning (like a magician pulling the tablecloth out from under the table settings). If the starter doesn't start up suddenly enough, the bendix just spins with it.

For the battery to be undercharged after the motor's been running, either your rectifier is blown (in which case the tachometer would stop registering), or the battery is shot (internal short or bad cell or something like that).

A load test will tell you about the battery (most car parts stores do 'em free).

Sometimes a speck of dirt or something stops the bendix from rising -- a couple drops light oil on those threads ever now & then is basic preventive maintenance (I use 3in1 oil).

If it's not any of that stuff, you'll have to take the starter off -- any automotive starter/alternator shop should be able to work on it, shouldn't be too painful. Or, get a service manual for your motor, and take a stab at it yourself.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 Johnson 90HP Starter?

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad