Purchasing / Rebuilding 1999 200 Mercury

AATA

Cadet
I'm looking to buy a 1999 mercury 200 (carbed) that has a bad cylinder. I have a couple questions to help with the decision.

The cylinders has minor scoring and I want to make sure this motor can be bored. I read in another post that it might have chrome cylinders that can't be bored. Can someone confirm.

What is the general reliability of this motor? Is this a good year and model?

Lastly, I'm planing on selling the 1990 200hp Johnson that is on there now. Any ideas how much this motor is worth? I did a search and haven't found one for sale. Engine runs great and is in good condition.

Thank you!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Purchasing / Rebuilding 1999 200 Mercury

Lastly, I'm planing on selling the 1990 200hp Johnson that is on there now. Any ideas how much this motor is worth? I did a search and haven't found one for sale. Engine runs great and is in good condition

Why would you want to replace the above motor with a Merc of the same horse power rating, with a known scored cylinder?
Or is this Johnson a tad less than what you say it is?

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Why would you want to replace the above motor with a Merc of the same horse power rating, with a known scored cylinder?

Agreed, doesn't make too much sense to sell a healthy motor for one that needs a rebuild.:confused::confused: If you get the Merc dirt cheap or free, fix it and sell it. Otherwise, stick with the one you know works.

BOB

Karl_Childers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BORE IT?? I wouldn't waste my time. Use muratic acid and a fistfull of q tips to remove the galled on aluminum from the cylinder, run a hone through there, replace the piston and rings and run it. I wouldn't even pull the power head. Just pull the reed block and unbolt the rod, and slide the piston and rod out the top once you remove the head. If you want to go the full monty and get into a full on rebuild, be my guest, but I think it is a waste of time and money. Chrome cylinders cannot be fixed all that easily, but there are places that will re-sleeve them in chrome if you want, but it is much easier to re-sleeve in steel and buy a corresponding piston and rings. If it is reliability and peace of mind you want, buy a new engine. The reliability and longevity and technology have come light years since that motor was new. Besides, new engines have something that engine will never have....a warranty.

j_martin

Admiral

BORE IT?? I wouldn't waste my time. Use muratic acid and a fistfull of q tips to remove the galled on aluminum from the cylinder, run a hone through there, replace the piston and rings and run it. I wouldn't even pull the power head. Just pull the reed block and unbolt the rod, and slide the piston and rod out the top once you remove the head. If you want to go the full monty and get into a full on rebuild, be my guest, but I think it is a waste of time and money. Chrome cylinders cannot be fixed all that easily, but there are places that will re-sleeve them in chrome if you want, but it is much easier to re-sleeve in steel and buy a corresponding piston and rings. If it is reliability and peace of mind you want, buy a new engine. The reliability and longevity and technology have come light years since that motor was new. Besides, new engines have something that engine will never have....a warranty.

Doing a merc rod cap orthoscopically through the reed slot is not for the inexperienced for sure. That said, light scoring is tolerable, chrome or nicasil don't hone like steel if at all. Like he said, sometimes piston will spall onto the chrome wall, and can be removed with acid leaving a perfect wall. It really looks terrible, but maybe not too bad. The normal fix for a really fuddled up hole is to throw a steel sleeve in it, and just different rings for that hole.

hope it helps
John

AATA

Cadet

Don, would you say this 1999 Mercury wouldn't have more power than the 1990 Johnson?

Here's my logic, but I'm completely open to recommendation which is why I'm looking for more information. The engine for sale comes with all parts to switch out the engine, so it could be a complete swap. Was removed from another boat with all controls, oil tank, etc. They are asking $2,000 and it comes with an extra power head (scored as well from a rebuild 5 years ago). My Johnson runs great, but it has around 200 hours and it's 9 years older. I figured I could rebuild the Mercury and sell the Johnson and almost break even, depending on what you think a 1990 200 Johnson is worth. I could probably even sell the extra power head or keep it for the future. If worse comes to worse and I have to sell it for parts, I feel I could get my money back? It seems like a good idea, but I may be way off on this, which is why I was looking for opinions.

Back to my questions, is this a good year model Mercury? What is my 200 Johnson worth?

Thank you all for your help!

Karl_Childers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I guess. It just seems like a whole lot of project with very little gain. A 200 is a 200 is a 200. If you are looking for more power, get a bigger motor or search the web for performance parts like plastic reeds and high compression pistons and the like. But know that everything you do towards performance reduces reliability twice over. All that being said, I am all for a rebuild at any time! I learn something every time I do one, plus I think it's kinda fun. I guess that's why I spin wrenches for money.

AATA

Cadet

I appreciate everyones input. I decided not to buy the motor. The guy actually came down to $1,500 but I found out it had a long shaft on it and I need a short shaft. Part of the purchase was to enjoy rebuilding it as well like Karl said. Thought it would be a good project. Anyway, I will have to find another project.

Thanks!

Karl_Childers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heck, I say if he'll come down a bit more in price, buy it anyway and rebuild just that one cylinder, just for the learning expierence, and fun. Remember when buying a motor like that; if it don't run, it is worth the sum of its USED parts that happen to be used and 10 years old. Don't ever let someone try to tell you different, especially not in this economy. There are a billion mercury 200s out there, so one with a dead cylinder is worth just next to nothing, in my opinion.