Marine Mechanic Work... Best places for work.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Last year was bad with 4 dollar gas, but this year is almost even worse with the economy this and the economy that. I live in Mass and am tired with this 7 months on, 5 months off seasonal schedule.

I have some cash and I need to move.

Right now I have my eyes on the Cape Coral/Ft Meyers area. I lived in Fl for 2 years so I know it gets hot. I know everyplace stinks right now, but I'm trying to stay positive and find the place that stinks the least. Housing is dirt cheap down there, and for under 100 grand i can buy a home on the water. I see rentals on the water going starting at 600 a month. Cant rent a cardboard box with a toilet for 600 in Mass.

Any advice from all you folks all over the place? Know of a better area?

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Marine Mechanic Work... Best places for work.

wages tend to match the cost of housing, wages are suppressed in Florida compared to Massachusetts as well.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Houston still has a decent economy. At work we were slow the first few months but, lately we have had a lot of work come in. My friends in different industries are seeing the same results as well.
The water is very near. Within 15 minutes You can get to the water at Kemah or Seabrook. In 40 minutes to Galveston. In 20 minutes you can get to Lake Houston or Clear lake. Lots of boat shops in the area. The water is not as pretty as Florida's but its wet.:D
The night life is great. Live music, clubs, drag racing (at a track or "illegal street racing"), oval track racing, dog track and a horse track. Day time activities are also abundant from museums to festivals. We have proffessional sports team and all have fairly new stadiums (the teams stink). We also have the biggest rodeo in the world. The surrounding area is beutiful.
If you come to Texas I assure you that you will see that its the best state in the union (we are also the only state that can separate from the union). I used to travel to many places because of my job. There is other cities in different states that I like but, I like Houston the best.
If for any reason Houston tickles you let me know. I will help you with whatever I can.

EDIT: BTW the boating season is year round here.

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Justin, remember 50% of the boating industry workers are presently unemployed. if you currently have a job, best keep it. wages to housing in Florida is not cheap as you think. when we want to buy boats cheap, we look in the Ft Myers area. snow birds, come down buy a boat, most of the time too big for them to handle at their age, and too expensive for the to up keep.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Justin, remember 50% of the boating industry workers are presently unemployed. if you currently have a job, best keep it. wages to housing in Florida is not cheap as you think. when we want to buy boats cheap, we look in the Ft Myers area. snow birds, come down buy a boat, most of the time too big for them to handle at their age, and too expensive for the to up keep.

right on TD.

if you have a job keep it and be happy.

"stick and stay and make it pay" as sig would say :)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

TD,
Mind if i ask you how you came up with that figure of 50%? Just curious. I see your in jacksonville. Are you in the boating business down there?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

jason; not sure about TD's numbers but it sure seems like 1/2 the boat builders are out of business