Quick question on Decarb procedure

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up a can of Seafoam "auto marine Motor treatment".
It's a 473ml can.
I have read the info in the FAQ section to get an idea. But this can says to add to app 50L of gas. Will that work or is it better to make a more concentrated potion (mixing the can with app 1-2 gallons) and then running the motor, letting it soak, etc. or spraying it into the carbs while it's running?
Just want to make sure that I purchased the right product and how to get the best result.
Any info is appreciated.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Quick question on Decarb procedure

Seafoam is right-
What I did was remove plugs-
Squirt a couple times into each cylinder-
Replace plugs & let set 15 mins-
Start on muffs & squirt straight Seafoam into each carb until it bogs down & let it recover (do NOT idle up to keep running!)

Do each carb a few times -
Soon as the smoke clears you should be good to go :D
I also keep a little in my tank, seems to run better every time out :cool:

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you bought the liquid kind you just add to gas. I have never used that kind but it seems to me that stuff is used more for maintenance after you have already decarbed with the spray seafoam.
If you add the full can to 1-2 gallons of gas your outboard is going to smoke and run bad until that gas is gone. You might **** some boaters off at the lake or in the least embarrass yourself.
If you planned on running it at your house its going to take half a day to use that much gas.

If you have never decarbed your motor or its been along time then get a can of the spray stuff and use that if you want immediate results.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Sounds like you bought the liquid kind you just add to gas. I have never used that but it seems to me that is more of a maintenance procedure after you have already decarbed with the spray.
If you add the full can to 1-2 gallons of gas your outboard is going to smoke and run bad until that gas is gone. You might **** some boaters off at the lake or in the least embarrass yourself.
If you planned on running it at your house its going to take half a day to use that much gas.

If you have never decarbed your motor or its been along time then get a can of the spray stuff and use that if you want immediate results.

Put it in a spray bottle :rolleyes:
Much easier to control the amount you spray :)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Depends on which SeaFoam you are using.

You can do a fair job spraying with the aerosol SeaFoam, but to really clean the engine, you will have better results using Captain Dunkelberger's original prescription using the Seafoam mix in a small container or tank and doing it several times:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

Personally, I'm not satisfied with a de-carbon treatment until I see clean metal on the piston tops through the spark plug holes.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The link above is what i was using as a guide. Using his formula, mix this entire can into 3/4 gal of gas. (Even though the can says it's good for 50L). That will make this a strong mix.
Or I can put this into a spray can and shoot into the carbs. I don't care which is easier, I just want the best results.
This is on 91 V4 that runs just fine. But i had to change the exhaust manifold gasket and was surprised at how much crud was in that valley.
And I'm doing it at home with a special basin for the leg to sit in. Neighbors are used to all noise and smoke from my other toys.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

either way the chemical is the same seafoam deep creep spray or seafoam liquid.