Mercury 115 No Spark

SpikeJ

Cadet
I read several threads on a no spark issue and have a couple questions. I had no spark on any cylinders. So reading through I checked the stator and found an open circuit on the blue to ground and assumed it bad. Ordered a replacment from CDI. They say to install it to match th old one. I pulled the original stator (Merc type) and it is different then the new CDI. I orieented it to match the old merc stator that being the wires leading away from the stator in the same location as the old stator. Is this correct? If so I still have no spark. Raeding aghain I disconnected the blk/ylw from each switch box and tried with no spark and then disconnected the yellow wires from the stator with no spark. It talks of getting DVA readings I have a multi meter with a MAx hold feature which holds the maximum reading. Am I correct testing the red to ground and the red/white to ground should be getting 30volts and blue to ground and blue/white to ground 1801volts? I dont get either the most i see is 3 volts on blues and a fraction of a volt on red. Any thoughts?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 115 No Spark

Your CDI Stator came with a trouble shooting guide if you bought it new from a retail vendor. The CDI website has all the spec's. Just look up the part number.

With a little luck your's, wasn't a half done 9 to 16 amp stator conversion like mine.

kd4vpq

Cadet

I had a recent problem with my merc 150 with no spark to #2 cyl...turned out to be one of the control modules ( or power packs as they are sometimes called) Fortunately I had a spare. If you aren`t getting fire to any cylinder you may have a bad trigger assy.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Stacked 6 with 2 switchboxes?

Disconnect the white Bias wire from both boxes and retest for spark, if they now spark replace BOTH boxes.

Disconnect both blues and both red stator wires and retest peak voltage, are they now within range?

What is your cranking RPM? This ignition requires a minimum of 300 RPM to generate enough voltage to function, slow cranking = no spark.

SpikeJ

Cadet

I'm not sure 100% what I am doing. The instructions say o install the stator the same way as the old one. The old stator was a factory stator. and made differently then the CDI stator. I used the location of the wires leading away from the stator and located them in the same position as the old one. The bolts were located in an odd pattern and I put the bolts back in the same position as the old ones. Is it a possibility to get the stator upside down or oriented wrong?? Additionally the resitance readings are correct but I may not be reading the "DVA" correct. I have a digital meter with a max hold feature. Am i to read DC volts or DC amps? To read amps it seems I should disconnect the red wire (for instance) and connect it to the red lead on my meter and connect the black lead from the meter to the terminal on the switch box. Or am I reading DC volts and would I read the DC volts with the red wire(for instance) from the stator connected to the appropriate connection on the switch box and connect my red lead from my meter to the red wire and the blck lead to ground?

PS The boat is cranking at the right speed. But no voltage at the leads as suggested