what makes a autopilot 55 control board fry?

Adamtr

Cadet
I have a 2002 minn kota auto pilot control board fry, i just picked up used off my uncle, i tested it on the bench all controls and functions worked fine, went to the lake to use it, started fishin noticed vairuble speed wasn't working 2 minutes later smoke coming from the control board. The motor moves left and right but no prop movement, so i'm ordering a new Contol Board, but want to know if there is something i should be looking into before replace it and possible fry another one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: what makes a autopilot 55 control board fry?

You assembled something incorrectly. Wrong board for the motor perhaps. Could it be the board was a 12 volt board being used on a 24 volt motor or vice versa.

Adamtr

Cadet

Its a 12 volt board and a 12 volt battery, and if i was under supplying the motor of voltage, like 24 volt motor getting 12 volt power it would be weak or just not work. right

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Under voltage can create issues just like over voltage. Not likely to create smoke but since it worked ok on the bench and went sour after installation I still feed something was pinched or installed incorrectly.

Adamtr

Cadet

I understand what you mean, its wierd that it would fry but how can you screw up hooking up a 12 v battery. I am going to try and picture attachment to show the burnt area to see if that can shed any light on my situation.

Its the furthest left screw behind the black power wire. Its burnt between the contact and the board itself. Hats off to you if you can tell me what makes this part of the board fry.

Thanx

Attachments

• control board.jpg
    control board.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0

Adamtr

Cadet

I did some more homework and found the part # 230-4041 matches the one on my trolling motor it is a 12v board and also says that there is an updated board #230-4043. Is the reason behind the new part # is the old boards are weak and they were rectafying a problem with improved boards, if so i just have bad luck that it went on its maiden voyage on my boat? Is replacing control boards a common occurance, or should i be looking much deeper into this before i install the new one. Just that i have the mentality that things usually break for a reason. right?

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same control board on my 1995 Minn Kota 42# 812 AP, actually the control board I have is 230-4005D but the replacement board is the same as yours.

Mine worked fine on the bench and on the water but corrosion at the foot pedal connector caused me to clean all the connections and lubricate with silicone grease to waterproof. The on/off switch was intermittent at the foot pedal and wiggling the harness would solve the problem for a short time

While cleaning the connector attached to the motor for the foot pedal control with a wire brush I inadvertantly left the power cable attached, normally this wouldn't have been a problem as I usually leave the battery switch off (BEP marine charge controller) but I was charging the battery's and forgot the switch was on.

Needless to say suddenly my motor would not rotate afterwards but the autopilot and steering work fine. Testing with a voltmeter indicated I fried the speed controller after much time was spent making sure the foot control was not the problem (ohm-meter testing).

I went on a search for a used part but all I found were junk control boards, I found three identical used trolling motors of various years all with the same problem....speed controller shot. I wasted a lot of time testing other peoples used trolling motors (that were advertised as working!) until hooked to a battery showed they were junk also.

It is my opinion that these control boards are common failure components for these motors, I cannot comment if the newer 230-4043 boards are better but from the pictures I have seen they look like cheap chinesse knockoffs as Minn Kota list these boards as "no longer available" and the connector harness does not have the rubber seal integrated. I am assuming you are looking at the Northland marine website as they stock them online at $75. Apparently Sears Parts Direct also lists the control board but I cannot comment on availability.

I have investigated a separate motor speed controller such as used in electric scooters as they seem to be more durable and around the same price, wiring in a separate box with a speed control dial on the foot pedal is something I would do for reliability.

I think the foot pedal connector is 90% of the problem with failures of these boards since any corrosion at the connector will cause a short and destroy the speed control function, I have cut the connector out of the circuit and wired my foot pedal direct now since I am sure this is why they fail all the time.

With the cost of a decent replacement at $1200CDN or more for a Autopilot equipped motor, I will fix what I have...I can see why people buy a kicker motor for trolling instead of fooling around with electric motors. The weight increase if you count batteries is the same. If it wasn't for the very handy feature of foot control, autopilot and quiet running I would do the same and forget this electric non-sense.

I may buy the same controller as you require...but only once. If it dies again I will upgrade the speed controller with an aftermarket version and custom wire it in. For something as simple as a PWM speed controller Minn Kota makes a crappy one...for example how hard would it have been to wire in a mercury switch to detect when the motor is tilted so it wouldn't actuate? Pfft!

I have talked to a couple of Minn Kota authorized repair places in my area and both were surprised that mine worked for so long, they all recommended complete replacement instead of repair...of course. :rolleyes: I have heard motorguide is no better and harder to get parts for, there is no cheap reliable alternative it seems.

Good luck with your repair, it is easy to swap out the board with a screwdriver and needle nose pliers to pull the board connectors. Make sure you take a picture of the connections so you don't fry your new board. I will be taking the same route as you are and throw another c-note at this thing. I would recommend sealing the wire connector with silicone grease to prevent corrosion as a minimum, any short there has dire consequences obviously.

brummo

Seaman Apprentice

I just picked up a free 55lb thrust 12v minn kota power drive. The guy said the motor didn't work. It does hooked direct to a battery. Is it the board that is out? when I hook it up to the pedal all I hear is a click from the board. Fried?? I now the pedal is good because I never use it since I use the remote, and Tested it out on my current motor on the boat. Thanks
Rob

Free motor worth the $75 to fix I think.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I just picked up a free 55lb thrust 12v minn kota power drive. The guy said the motor didn't work. It does hooked direct to a battery. Is it the board that is out? when I hook it up to the pedal all I hear is a click from the board. Fried?? I now the pedal is good because I never use it since I use the remote, and Tested it out on my current motor on the boat. Thanks
Rob

Free motor worth the $75 to fix I think.

The click you hear is the power relay, hard to say if your board is fried without testing it...sure seems to be a common problem for the speed control portion to short out. There is only a single screw used to hold the board down to the aluminum base that is not electrically isolated so it appears this is the heat sink connection, any corrosion here would cause the board to overheat internally and burn the board.

brummo

Seaman Apprentice

The click you hear is the power relay, hard to say if your board is fried without testing it...sure seems to be a common problem for the speed control portion to short out. There is only a single screw used to hold the board down to the aluminum base that is not electrically isolated so it appears this is the heat sink connection, any corrosion here would cause the board to overheat internally and burn the board.

Can I assume it is the board? I know the prop spins when hooked up directly to battery. What else should I look at if anything?

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I'm no Minn Kota expert, I would test the foot pedal and make sure the connections are clean on everything. Before throwing money at the problem a certified Minn Kota repair facility is who I would visit for verification of the problem component.

Jlavigne

Recruit

I have them same issue. I bought a new control board and installed it, but can not figure out where to plug in the green wire that comes in fro plug cant find another wire that is not plugged in??

beagleboy

Seaman

I have them same issue. I bought a new control board and installed it, but can not figure out where to plug in the green wire that comes in fro plug cant find another wire that is not plugged in??
Generally a green wire is ground and I'm no MinnKota expert.