Can brakes be retrofitted to trailer?

Lou_F

Seaman Apprentice
Purchaced an 08 BR175 which came with the stock galvanized EZ Loader trailer. Brakes for this weight class are not required in my state, and the trailer did not come with them, however I think I might be more comfortable with them. I have already had a few short stops due to idiots pulling out in front of me. :eek::eek::eek:

Questions:
Can this trailer be retrofitted?
Does anyone make some kind of kit for this?
Wiill it really make a difference?

BTW, tow vehicle is an 02 Tundra, 2WD.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can brakes be retrofitted to trailer?

They can be added. What size tires are on your trailer? Check the axle behind the tires to see if there is already a brake flange. It is a square metal plate with 4 holes in it. If you don't have one you will probably want to get a new axle or have plates welded on(not recommended).

http://www.championtrailers.com/#INDEX

Splat

Lieutenant

Also electric brakes are easier too retrofit than hydraulic.

Bill

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

has anyone tried to put electric brakes on a boat trailer? I have a single axle that carries about 3300# and was thinking about it, since they are cheap and I wouldn't have to change the coupler to a master cylinder one, thats not feasible for me. my dad said it would be frowned upon to have electric brakes on a boat trailer, but in all reality i use the boat 6-8 times a year so i was thinking that they might hold up, especially since im in fresh water. any thoughts, or anyone done it?

haulnazz15

Captain

has anyone tried to put electric brakes on a boat trailer? I have a single axle that carries about 3300# and was thinking about it, since they are cheap and I wouldn't have to change the coupler to a master cylinder one, thats not feasible for me. my dad said it would be frowned upon to have electric brakes on a boat trailer, but in all reality i use the boat 6-8 times a year so i was thinking that they might hold up, especially since im in fresh water. any thoughts, or anyone done it?

Frowned upon?!! Electric brakes are usually preferred unless you boat in salt water and pull in and out many times a year without washing it down thoroughly, otherwise they are the most trouble-free version usually. In any case, there are plenty of electric brake kits that you can add to any trailer assuming you have the correct brackets for it.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed electric brakes on my trailer last year and they looked almost new when I checked them in the spring. Some light surface rust on the non-contact surfaces, but not on the magnets. They actually work better this year, probably because the shoes have worn a bit and make better contact with the drums.
I only got 7 launch and retrieve cycles in last year, all fresh water, so I'm still waiting to see how well they do long term.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

im liking the way this is sounding.....so im gonna do some research, i will need the brake kit, wiring, brake controller (truck is prewired from the factory for it i believe), anything else? sorry for the questions, I only have a little experience with the ol surge drum brakes.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

ive been lookin around...does anyone who did this have any links for a kit or anything? looks like i need 10" drums, i have brake flanges on my trailer.

Sinko

Seaman

What's the problem with surge brakes? Are they cheaper then electircal if you also need to modify the truck?

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would recommend disk brakes for trailers. They are easier to flush, and stop better. Cost? They are roughly the same as drum.
if you want the ultimate, go for disks and get the hydraulic/electric actuator. The lines are hydraulic, as are the wheel cylinders. They simply use the electric to pressure the lines like a master cylinder would. Thiey are somewhat costly, but guys who trailer where there are hills swear by them.
Otherwise, go with surge.
BTW, the champion trailer refence above. They are good people to do business with. They have kits which have everything you need, and a video to take you thru step by step. Afterward you can return the video for credit.

Sinko

Seaman

The Champion website does not recommend electrical brakes for boat trailers