Mercrusier 228 Idle Engine shutdown

smrf1080

Recruit
Hello all, As stated in title we are having a problem with our 228 engine. When at low rpm's or idle the engine is frequently shutting off on us. We did all the generally spring tune-ups at the beginning of spring. My thoughts are that it could maybe be a problem with the cap/rotor or possibly the carb needs to be rebuilt. I wanted to get your guys expert opinions before I went ahead and spent the money to start repairing/replacing these components, thanks.

smrf1080

Recruit
Re: Mercrusier 228 Idle Engine shutdown

Also when going from neutral into 1st you hear the shift happen and the engine will bog down and die. This doesn't happen everytime, but enough to be very frustrating. I've tried it slowly out of neutral and gunning it and it will still happen.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercrusier 228 Idle Engine shutdown

Sounds like a lowers shift cable problem as far as it shutting off when shifting. AS far as idle shut down change your change your cap and rotor. Both are very inexpensive and should be change in a tune up anyways. Also if you have a water seperator filter unscrew it and dump contents into a clear GLASS container and see if any water is in ti. If so change the filter. If you have water in your filter you might want to figure a way to get it out of the tank.