Discussion topic : Ok SHP vs. EMT

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Discussion topic : Ok SHP vs. EMT

Definitely one of the grey areas of the law. From what I heard on the video, the ambulance did run a red light. I am a trained and certified Emergency Vehicle driver. When the lights and sirens are on, we are asking permission to have the right of way. We are not granted the permission. That means we must slow down, and even stop if necessary at red lights and stop signs. We acknowledge that if we are operating the vehicle in an unsafe manner we can be pulled over at any time for speeding, reckless driving, running stop signs and red lights, etc. It is our duty to operate the vehicle in an appropriate manner.

I have seen police follow fellow emergency personel to the station on numerous occasions, licenses are handed over and they are told to do what they needed to do, but there is an emergency, and it could be their parents, relatives, or friends. On some occasions the Emergency driver was a jerk, and got fined, on some the police were jerks ... but in general, all works out well in the end. There is a mutual respect between the two entities.

In the instance of the video, I would like to see how the ambulance driver was handling his rig and what he was doing ... I did hear the police officer say he ran through a red light ... I bet there was more to it than the officers being jerks ...

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have looked up a ton of articles on the web about this and find several stories.

The one I find most goes like this.

EMT was heading to the hospital. SHP was heading to assist a county officer. EMT was traveling down the road with lights and sirens. The SHP was heading down the same road and in the same direction with his lights and sirens. The SHP was closing on the EMT. A vehicle in front of the EMT started to slow down. The EMT went left of center to pass the slowing car. At the same time the SHP was trying to pass the EMT. As the EMT went left of center to pass the car, the SHP was in the process of passing the EMT.

The EMT dirver stated with blind rear sight and his own sirens going, he never heard or saw the SHP coming up on his tail.

The SHP (who was responding to a county officer) stopped and decided to pull over the EMT. Which tells me the original call he was on wasnt that important.

SHP state that the EMT struck the officer once pulled over. The SHP state their dash vid shows this but the vid hasnt been released.

My opinion is that this could have taken place at the hospital AFTER the patient was handed over.

Also, one officer stated that the EMT (who is also a doctor evidently) was under arrest. He attempted to cuff the EMT/Dr but the EMT (big ole boy too) pushed off the SHP officer. The SHP officer tried to get what appeared to be a failed arm bar but couldnt. So the fellow officer decided to "choke' the EMT (on the fence about that one) Then the SHP decides to walk away! NO WAY.. if an officer tries to put you under arrest and you fight them off, there is a beat down coming,, the officer dont change his mind and walk off! That tells me the SHP officer knew he was in the wrong at the time.

Im also trying to figure out just who the SHP was "protecting" or "serving".

Judging by the conduct by both parties on the vid, I have to say the EMT's were a bit more level headed.

But in typical fashion, this will end up swept under the rug.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The police were wrong in this situation for 1 reason only. The welfare of the patient. If anything, the police should have simply followed, and even assisted safe transport of the ambulance/patient to the hospital and once they got there, settle up the issues then.
I'd be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad if that was me or one of my loved ones in the bus and the cops were going to act like that. Be a much different story if the guy in the ambulance died because of the altercation.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Hard to take a side without knowing all the facts, but I do agree that the matter should have been settled at the hospital. I also agree that, if the Trooper abandoned the backup for the County Deputy, whatever was going on wasn't all that important ... either that or the Trooper was comletely negligent in divirting his attention to a nonessential traffic stop.

Not to say that this situation necessarily fits, but the good news is that rouge cops are being punished more and more these days. In my area, we just had two Parish Deputies arrested and jailed because they beat up two handcuffed 17 year olds. The kids were part of a group of four who were shooting paintballs at one another in an apt. house that was being rebuilt. The beating (including use of a billy club) was done while three other cops watched and did nothing to stop it.

We have also had a number of instances of one police department ticketing a cop from another department for traffic infractions. This has even happened while the offending cop was in a marked unit. Since "take home cars" are the norm around here, cops often violate traffic laws while off duty. The behavior has been flagrant and of concern to the public.

I can only speak for myself, but knowing that a department holds everyone to the same standard really makes me want to support them. So, here's to the good cops with thanks for what they do. As for the rest ... you might want to rethink your program, 'cause the old ways don't always work any more.