!!help!! With A Couple Of Things!!

camarostripes96

Seaman Apprentice
ok i have a 1997 Bayliner Capri 20.5 ft with the 350, the depth finder (the digital one thats mounted in the gauge cluster) doesnt come on and the blower motors arent working. Well i crawled under the dash and there is a fuse panel under there with 10 fuses. well i checked all of them and there was small fuse which was a 5 like a light brown/orange fuse and it was blown,so i got a new fuse and put it in there and as soon as i put it in it blew the fuse!! this is all done with the key off just so u know. What is causing it to do that and its the only 5 fuse in there i believe ther rest are 10's and 15's !! can anyone help me with this or do u know what that fuse goes to? also where is the power for the depth finder and the blower motor?
if anyone can point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it or just let me know where to start!!
thanks everyone

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: !!help!! With A Couple Of Things!!

I would say you answered your own question, that fuse is likely to your blower and your depth finder.

the question is why is it blowing.

Fuses are there to protect your wire (and thus your boat) so replacing the 5amp fuse with a larger one is a bad thing.

Has anything changed? did you install anything new, reconnect anything?

You have a short someplace and something is taking too much power. It could be the blower is getting old and is now taking more power than it should, or something is now connected wrong.

Don't know how handy you are, but this may take some investigation on your part to figure out.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

that fuse is a blowin because something is grounding out.has there always been that size a fuse there.check the wires at the sounder and blower something is wrong.or unhook them then put the fuse in and connect them 1 by 1 until you see the problem.maybe in the wires before the components.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

5 amp is pretty small for a main fuse for a boat. I would think a bilge blower draws more than 5 amps. I woulds turn off all the switches and plug in a 5 and see if it blows. If it holds turn on one switch at a time. If the blower switch blows it. try a larger fuse.

Chances are your depth finder draws an amp or so, I'd assume the blower draws 8-10 amps definately over 5.

5 amp fuses in cars are for electronics 10's , 15's and 20's are on most motor loads.

camarostripes96

Seaman Apprentice

ok well nothing has changed at all, and i havent hooked anything up! i just bought the boat saturday and took it out to the lake, i really dont care but would like the depth finder to work just more worried about the blower motor not working. My bilge pump for the water works just not sure if that 5 is big enough fuse or if it does have a short in it. isnt the wire gonna burn up and possibly start a fire if i put a bigger fuse in and it doesnt pop? also where at on the 5.7l 350 is the blower motor and how are is it to take out?