1989 Evinrude over heating water frm pee

Nick Las

Cadet
I have a 1986 Evinrude 9.9 with a new water pump and thermostat. I am getting plenty of water through the pee hole. After it runs for about 15-20 minutes it starts to over heat and steam starts poring out of the small exhaust hole. When I elevate the motor so that water can inter the motor and still view the underwater exhaust, no water was coming through with the exhaust, I have tried blowing 100lbs of air pressure through the pee hole, I took the thermostat plate off and blow air through those holes. This motor has been lightly used in fresh water and there is no corrosion anywhere inside the motor that I could see when I replaced the water pump and the thermostat. Blowing the air did nothing.

Do I have a bad head gasket or something else? HELP Needed !

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Evinrude over heating water frm pee

suggest you check and see if the rubber grommet for the water tube got pinched, and blocking water flow, does not take much water to get a tale tell. is tstat installed correctly.

cifd342000

Cadet

the same thing is happen to me. but i am not getting any water from the out drive into the water pump. but when i flush water behind where the impeller there are two open holes the right side it comes out the bottom vent the left side it wont come out. i try a coat hanger it wont go down.so i am not getting any water to come up to go into the engine at all do u have any idea what to do.

thank
steve d

jbjennings

Captain

You really need to start your own thread on this. The mods frown on opening old ones.
The exact model of engine and problem in your title would help others to help you.
Good luck and welcome to iboats,
JBJ