Mercruiser Transom Seal

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
This could also go under the "stupid human tricks" section.
My dog likes to sleep in the boat and is usually not a problem with me. Some time between Monday and yesterday he caught a squirrel. He took it in the boat with him and made a bloody mess, so I washed the inside of the boat. The boat sits under an awning.
This is the stupid part. I moved the boat into the sun this morning to dry it out. When I went to unhook the trailer I realized I had not raised the drive. Due to the incline in the driveway the back of the boat was a couple of inches off the trailer. I must have dragged the skeg a good ten feet but because of the loud exhaust in my truck I never heard it.
I checked the transom from the outside to see if it was flexing while the drive was holding the boat up and it appeared solid. There is no visual damage to the hull, the skeg has some minor scraping.
Is it likely I messed up the transom seal?
Its an Alpha 1 gen 1 drive.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Mercruiser Transom Seal

You didn't likely do any damage to anything otherthan the skeg. If the damage to the skeg is substantial (like missing checks out of it) you can have a new one welded on for about $100 at most weld shops or boat repair shops. Otherwise, just be more careful. You can grab some black spray paint to hide the scratches on the skeg if it makes you feel better.

IVAZ

Thanks for your reply. It makes me feel better. I guess I will check for leaks while still on the trailer when I put it in the water.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep put it in the water on the trailer and look for water coming in. You might have gotten lucky and not damaged anything other than the skeg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If your transom is solid, you should be in good shape.

IVAZ

I appreciate the input. I will update this thread Saturday when I take it to the lake.

IVAZ

I got lucky.
Had the boat in the water today and all was well.
The fishing did not go so well though :redface:. They smarter every year it seems like :rolleyes:.