2002 VX200TLRA O2 sensor tube question...

big_b16

Seaman
I'm trying to buy the washer that sits on the inside of the O2 sensor housing, it goes between the housing and the exhaust gas tube that leads the gases to the O2 sensor. I also have to replace the gasket that is between the housing and the block. My question is this, at boats.net they only list a part called "kit"...part number 68F-W1135-00-00. Does this kit include replacement o-ring and gaskets for the whole O2 sensor housing assembly? There is an O-ring on the inside of the housing that seals the outisde of the hole on the block and the inside of the hole on the housing (where the gas tube goes), a gasket between the mating location of the block and the housing (on the housing end of the gas tube)...didn't see one on the block side, and the big gasket between the back of the housing and the block. Any of the marine techs know what comes in the kit mentioned above?

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 VX200TLRA O2 sensor tube question...

there is no washer/oring that sits between the draw tube and the O2 sensor housing. I think you may be seeing carbon build up that looks like an oring? it should scrape out.

the 68F-W1135-00-00 kit includes a two part gasket.

big_b16

Seaman

I know it isn't shown in the parts diagram, but I just scraped all the carbon build up off of the metal washer that was between the block and the housing...the part where the tube sits inside. If you know what the inside of the housing looks like, there are 2 edges machined into the brass, the larger diameter is what bottoms out the housing on the block (where the metal washer is) and the smaller diameter is where the tube bottoms out. The o-ring is in a recessed edge that seals the housing on the outside of the block outlet. The o-ring can be salvaged, the metal gasket may also have to be re-used. My only other thought is that they are part of 65L-11353-10-00...the JOINT or what I'd call the gas tube. If my description is bad, I can take a pic in daylight tomorrow.

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wish I could offer help, but I'm looking forward to your pic's as a primer for doing the same job on a 2001 150. If you do post them, thank you in advance.

PBJohn

Seaman

The kit will come with two gaskets. This is all you should need. i take mine apart every year for the last 10 years and never saw a washer in between the block. Only washer you should have is on all the mounting bolts and the actual o2 sensor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

STOP
hold tha music.
its quite possible your block has been replaced with a mid 02 or newer.
if so you will need different parts than pre mid 02 and older.
the 3.1L blocks had a running change.
VX200TLRA indicates its a 3.1L.
tech bulliten O2002-007 will explain it.
or look at a parts diagram for a VX200TLRB and see if it looks like what you have.
but go by your dealer and have a look at that bulliten.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I learned something new!

big_b16

Seaman

STOP
hold tha music.
its quite possible your block has been replaced with a mid 02 or newer.
if so you will need different parts than pre mid 02 and older.
the 3.1L blocks had a running change.
VX200TLRA indicates its a 3.1L.
tech bulliten O2002-007 will explain it.
or look at a parts diagram for a VX200TLRB and see if it looks like what you have.
but go by your dealer and have a look at that bulliten.

Rodbolt...you my virtual friend are a genius! That is exactly what I have. Too bad I already got the one for the TLRA and modified the smaller gasket to fit. It doesn't do much as far as I can tell. It only acts as a gasket between the O2 sensor housing and the bolt holes. It doesn't actually seal anything. The smaller gasket and o-ring is what I was referring to and they are what seal the exhaust gasses from the atmosphere. Thanks again. I guess I'd better ask. Since I'm doing some work on the fuel pumps and filter screens...are there any other things that are different? The local Yamaha rep is over an hour away and I don't know when I'll be down that way to take a look at the TSB.

big_b16

Seaman

Another thing that is odd...

I was adjusting the TPS (still waiting for parts to put VST & O2 sensor housing back together) and found that I could get the idle voltage to 0.48VDC but at WOT I would only get 3.8VDC. Seloc manual says it should be a hair over 5VDC. The procedure said to conduct with the ignition on (not shutting it off when moving from idle to WOT) but the TPS would buzz a second whenever I cycled the throttle linkage. Is it normal or is the buzzing along with the fact my WOT voltage was lower than expected an indication of a bad TPS? Since the VST is not assembled right now, I cannot take it to the water and check the timing. But, all plugs were fouled as well as the O2 sensor.

Recall, the original problem was loss of WOT RPMs (about 500 or so). The VST screen was dirty as well as the regulator screen. They should be here Monday. I've got 3 new LP pumps and may just install them. I don't know when they were last changed (I bought used last fall). Rodbolt, you usually say to not replace parts unless they're verified bad, so I was wondering if there was a way to individually test the LP pumps? I've got a fuel pressure gauge and a vaccuum gauge if they can be used to test the LP pumps. Or would I be better off changing out all 3 pumps due to the many comments that they should be changed every 3 yrs or so? Thanks for the help so far.

Does it sound right that the loss of WOT RPMs would cause the engine to run rich on all cylinders, or am I chasing more than one problem? I should be able to get the required 35psi after reassembling the VST. But if the TPS is faulty, will the ECU enrich the mixture causing excess oil. Or would a fouled O2 sensor cause a fixed timing, foul the plugs, and limit RPMs?