HELP PLEEZZZ 97 Mercruiser 3.0 lx starter

soloblazer

Cadet
I have a 97 mercruiser 3.0l, it was winterized and when i went to start it, the starter was locked up, so i took to local starter guy to have him rebuild it and he said it was locked up good and was going to be more to repair then new one. so i ordered a new one and installed it (what a pain with not being able to see the bolts), cranked it several times with plugs out to make sure it turned over easy, put plugs back in and it cranked over, i cranked it a few different times to verify fuel, spark etc, and then all of a sudden it stopped engaging, it would spin like crazy but wouldnt engage, so i took off and tested and it tested ok, put back in boat and it engaged for a second and then same thing again just would spin, so called the guy i got it from and he sent another one to me. put it in and it cranked several times, and just when the engine started to spit and sputter like it would start same thing, just would spin and not engage, any ideas would be very helpful, i checked the teeth on fly wheel and all good, turn engine a little to make sure, also tried with some shims and without, not sure what else to try. sorry for writting so much, but wanted to cover everything i have done. Please help as i am triing to get my pontoon ready for lake, have already spent several hours working on this and its driving me crazy. FYI its a Mallory Marine Starter.

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HELP PLEEZZZ 97 Mercruiser 3.0 lx starter

I would take it out and test it on your work bench. Connect it to the battery, and make sure that that both the starter turns, and that the gear flys out (to engage the flywheel). If that all tests ok, test the solonioid.

Sound like if it is spinning either the gear isn't coming out to engage the flywheel, or that it is too far away from the flywheel and can't engage (too many shims).

soloblazer

Cadet

Yes have tried that, also have used it with no shims at all and same thing, not sure what else to try. thanks

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Someone else can chime in here, but my take is:

If it is spinning and not engaging the ONLY two things that it could be is that 1) the starter gear isn't coming out to engage the flywheel, or that 2) it is coming out but not engaging the flywheel.

It sounds like it was engaging the flywheel at some point, since you started it. So something HAS to be wrong with the internals of the starter.

Maybe the guy you are getting the starters from is giving you junk? I just got stranded last weekend by a P.O.S. starter that was "brand new" and turned out to be a very badly rebuild, inferior quality starter.

The only other thing would be maybe a loose or damaged flywheel, but it sounds like you looked at it, and I would think you'd notice if it was loose.

MikDee

Banned

Apparently the solenoid is failing on your starter, and not consistently throwing the starter gear out to engage, it is sporatic at best! I never heard of a (supposedly) new starter doing this? Is it a new solenoid as well? The solenoid is just a large electromagnet, when powered it engages, and holds the gear against the flywheel. It sounds like it is losing it's electrical connection after awhile.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you sure you have a good battery? You don't say a word about it. Sometimes the simple things are overlooked.

soloblazer

Cadet

I have a good battery, in fact have 2 batterys that i have tried. the whole unit is supposed to be good, flywheel seems good and has all teeth. remember this is the second starter i am on with the exact same problem. Also The only time it engaged was when i first put it in (that way with both the starter) and ran it a couple times, it seems to break when the motor tries to fire up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

These are positive shift starters so if the starter is running but not engaging, either the bendix has failed, the shift linkage is worn, or the solenoid itself is bad but that's not likely since the core needs to move to make contact. If the core moves then the shift linkage moves as well. If the linkage moves then the bendix must move. It's all mechanical. My suggestion is to replace the bendix -- and yes, there are some very poorly rebuilt starters on the market and there has been for decades.

soloblazer

Cadet

well they are giving me my money back, any ideas??? where should i get the starter from, i know that locks of the GM starters will fit, can i use a auto starter, or do i have use the marine, and if so where is a good place to order one from? thanks again for everyones input

MikDee

Banned

Napa may have a Sierra brand replacement starter more reasonably.

ziggy

Admiral

Napa may have a Sierra brand replacement starter more reasonably.
i'd think they would.
only reason i suggested oem is because he seems to be having troubles with the aftermarket ones. silvertip seems to think that there may be deficiencies with some of the aftermarkets. i believe him too. after all. aftermarket anything is a copy of the oem. i believe the aftermarket is interested in selling for the least price, they've gotta cut corners somewhere to make up for the loss of price. question is where did they cut the corner.
i've also had other parts that are aftermarket that don't fit proper or work proper too.
personally, i'd hate to dish out the bread for an oem one. but i must say. anytime i buy an oem part. it has always done and fit like it was supposed too. sometimes the savings is in the lack of grief you can get from using the oem part. a lot of grief from some aftermakets can cost money in the form of time and pain i think...

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned

I hear ya Ziggy, I've run into issues like that myself :rolleyes:
I was lucky one time I need a starter for my old 260 Mercruiser, and the guy at the marina tipped me off to a small private electrical rebuilder just around the corner, he did good work, and it was done fast, convenient, & reasonably priced ;)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I'm with Ziggy and Silvertip on this one. I only use factory starters or have existing factory cores rebuilt by a reputable motor shop in my area.
I've had to many problems with aftermarket starters on boats.

If someone is paying me by the hour to do the job and I have to pull it more than once to shim it.... then theres the cost difference in starters right there.

soloblazer

Cadet

Just ordered a new starter, should be hear tomorrow, i got it from a local starter and alternator guy, not sure the brand, but its supposed to be brand new not rebuilt, will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes. thanks for everyones input.

soloblazer

Cadet

Well i have tried 2 batterys, also hooked some jumper cables from car to the battery in boat just to rule the voltage thing out. On top of that i took a set of jumper cables and hook them from the ground on battery to the frame of the starter to make sure i have a good ground as well as hooking the pos to the battery and to the pos side of the starter.

I also (prolly not real smart, but thought it wasnt reaching the flywheel) lossened the bolts, and had someone crank it while i move the starter a little bit and still nothing.

soloblazer

Cadet

Also the first starter was locked up inside from sitting for a while, couldnt even turn it with a screw driver by hand when it was out

So really only have tired 2 new ones..LOOL

soloblazer

Cadet

tried it both ways, with the bracket and without

cguth

Recruit

i have never had a new oem starter do that to me, but i have had tons of aftermarket starters do it to me. it is the bendix in the starter. it is what throws the gear on the starter forward into the flywheel.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Before I would even try that new oem starter the first thing I would do is a contenuity check on every wire leading to the starter battery cables wires to the slave and all other components that aren't mentioned sounds to me like your having a current drop and or short somewhere clean everything and wiggle the leads when performing your test. It's worth a shot before wasting time ansd another starter. Good luck!