Coolant SHOOTING From Port Side Transom Assembly

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had trouble starting my port side motor. Now that I got it to start and run I have coolant shooting from the 2 side ports on the lower portion of the gimbel housing.

Can this be the water hose or does seawater only flow through that hose?

Thanks!

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Coolant SHOOTING From Port Side Transom Assembly

If you mean coolant is coming out of the idle relief ports at the bottom of the transom then it sounds like you have a bad heat exchanger to me, letting coolant mix in with the exiting raw water.

Raw water is drawn into the drive and thru the hose and on inside the boat and into the heat exchanger's external chamber. The engine coolant circulates thru the inner chamber of the heat exchanger like a radiator on a car. If you have anti-freeze coming out the back exiting with the raw water then some part of that system is leaking bad.

In my opinion anyway.

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you mean coolant is coming out of the idle relief ports at the bottom of the transom then it sounds like you have a bad heat exchanger to me, letting coolant mix in with the exiting raw water.

Raw water is drawn into the drive and thru the hose and on inside the boat and into the heat exchanger's external chamber. The engine coolant circulates thru the inner chamber of the heat exchanger like a radiator on a car. If you have anti-freeze coming out the back exiting with the raw water then some part of that system is leaking bad.

In my opinion anyway.

Thanks for the great info. It's coming from the ports on each side of the transom assembly just above the anodized heads.

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the coolant is coming out of the idle relief ports can the heat exchanger be clogged or doe sit mean it needs to be replaced?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to pressure test your heat exchanger.

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

K, will do. Can I just buy an ordinary pressure tester from the auto store?

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I answered my own question about the pressure tester by looking in the adults only section ( I am still learning the ins and outs of this forum).

I do have 1 question that I couldn't find the answer to. Does the drive need to be removed to do the pressure test for the heat exchanger?

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please help! Trying to buy or rig a system for a pressure test for the heat exchanger. Went out all morning and nobody knows anything other than trying to sell me a $200 kit. I do have a tiny compressor for my boys go kart tires I can use to hook up to it. I see a ton of posts on making testers for drain and fuel but nothing for the heat exchanger.

Please help . . . .

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can I attach the pressure tester to the drain plug in the bottom of the heat exchanger because I can't find the pressure cap adaptor?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

You can rent one @ AutoZone for free!!!!!

And be careful.......I had a similar problem last year and thought it was the H/E, it was actually a bad gasket between the manifold and riser.

Do you have a full FWC'd system?

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I have a FWC system. I am new to boating and this is my first boat so I need all the advice/guidance I can get.

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

not 100% but I believe so. It's 1987 3.7L 4 cyl merc fwc.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I gotta back-off.........not familiar with the set-up..........sorry.
do you have a manual?

Maclin

Admiral

I would just remove the heat exchanger and have it tested, there are two chambers to test and a radiator shop can test it for a lot less than the cost of the testing apparatus.

As FreeBee mentioned, the coolant may be used to cool the exhaust manifolds and that can be another source of leaking, either gasketing or cracked manifold.

Is the coolant that comes out diluted? Or is it pretty much exactly what is in the engine's system (what you see when the Pressure cap is removed)? That could be a clue.

Has the boat ever run ok for you? Meaning, did this just start happening? or has some maintenance recently been performed? Or is the boat all new to you, never run? did the previous owner start something and not finish it?

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought the boat from a one owner about 3 months ago. When looking at the boat he started both engines and ran them with the muffs on for about 4-5 minutes and they ran great. Only think I had to do was adjust the port shift cable b/c it wouldn't go out of gear without shutting down.

I went to autozone and thanks to FreeBeeTonys advice rented the pressure tester for $80 which I get back when I return it so it's a free rental.

As soon as I hooked it up to the cap (perfect fit) I noticed a loose clamp with coolant coming out. Tightened that up then at 14 PSI noticed a big coolant leak from just behind the reserve bottle. Have to take that off now and see where the leak is coming from. Remember my original leak was shooting from the transom assembly out the boat so I think this is another cooling issue I've got here!

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

... For anyone looking to pressure test their cooling system go to AutoZone and rent tool # 9300. My local AutoZone charged me an $80 deposit that I get when I return it. You can keep the tool up to 3 months and still get your full deposit back!

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Coolant Pressure Test Results
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My port engine (engine in question) would not hold any pressure. I had to pump the pressure tool a million times to get her up to 10 LBS and within 30 seconds she was back to 0. I noticed my drain plug was loose so I tightened it. I also noticed the bolt holding the coil in very loose and allowing coolant to seep out of there which is the leak I mentioned above. After tightening all up and re-doing the pressure test I noticed no leaks just a lot of gurgling in the heat exchanger and the inability to hold any pressure.

H E L P.

What does this mean?