Question about replacing the transom on my Starcraft..

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, I've decided that this spring/summer the transon will get done. I have a 1965 Starcraft and the question I have is this- How do I remove the "drain holes" in the splashwell? I would just remove the transom with them attached, but there's a circular lip around the entire outside of the insert that sits on top of the transom's sheetmetal. Do I need to grind that lip off first? Also- when I remove the motor should I disconnect the wiring harness from the inside of the control box?

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question about replacing the transom on my Starcraft..

Just chisel the transom side or the outside lip of the drain hole insert. It will be soft aluminum you will have to get replacement.
There is only a few connections in the control box so remove the wires if you have to. Should be easy since there is a wiring diagram inside the box ( if it is a Johnson)
and the wires are color coded.
Take some pics. if you have a chance. Would like to see it.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just chisel the transom side or the outside lip of the drain hole insert. It will be soft aluminum you will have to get replacement.
There is only a few connections in the control box so remove the wires if you have to. Should be easy since there is a wiring diagram inside the box ( if it is a Johnson)
and the wires are color coded.
Take some pics. if you have a chance. Would like to see it.

Here are the pics:

001-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

As you can see in the last pic, the wood is in definate need of replacement! There were rod holders mounted back there and when I went to remove them, the screws pulled right out!. Not only that, but the mounting rods for the tie down eyes are tightened INTO the wood. I can't wait to see what else there is to deal with.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, it looks like everything will have to come off that transom area (including the paint). Keep all the aluminum trim parts organized for reinstalling them later. (don't remove the splashwell)
I could post some pictures of my Starc. Holi. later when I have more time or help you with ideals questions.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, it looks like everything will have to come off that transom area (including the paint). Keep all the aluminum trim parts organized for reinstalling them later. (don't remove the splashwell)
I could post some pictures of my Starc. Holi. later when I have more time or help you with ideals questions.

Do you know where I can get some more of the drain tubes?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just 5200'ed in some PVC pipe. I did the transom on mine last June. Not a bad job. When I was done I coated everything in my splash well with Wal-mart spray on bedliner. Looks sweet. I also opted not to reinstall the wood piece on the outside of the transom.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used 3/4' copper pipe, 1" might be better (I did not have any at the shop).
They don't recommend copper with aluminum but I used bondo ( blue with fiberglass strands) waterproof resin so there is no direct contact.
I am still working on the boat so the testing will be done later in the summer.

Attachments

• starcreftbowtransom 011.JPG
    starcreftbowtransom 011.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 1
  • starcreftbowtransom 013.JPG
    starcreftbowtransom 013.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 1