1998 Evenrude 50 HP won't idle

Steve Robinson

Recruit
Need help!! For the past two seasons engine would not stay running in an idle. Would run fine when going 1200 rpms etc or higher no missing. If you were to be going at say 900 rpms in gear and you bumped it up just a little there would be a hesitation then a kick in to the additional rps.like 1000 to 1200. At the end of last season the problem progressivily got worse. It got harder and harder to start. So this week I had a mechanic look at it and had the following done: He rebuilt the two carburators with Evenrude rebuilt kits. No help. Changed the spark plugs, no change, finally replaced the VRO pump, replaced with Evenrude new. After that ,engine at least started in high rpms but again would not stay started in an idle let alone under gear (forward). A few notes: The water seems to me to be more oily than normal. Engin was runned in my drive way in a large water holder. Today the mechanic calls me and says that another mechanic where he used to work told him that in the past when these symptoms were present and all the parts were replaced that I mentioned above turned out to be possibly 1. Rings sticking to piston from possible carbon build up ot 2. crankseal gaskit bad or leaking.(upper or lower). Both not inexpensive repairs. I have over $600 in parts so far. Icannot afford a maybe. Please help. Thank you, Steve Robinson

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 Evenrude 50 HP won't idle

i think i would try a linc n sinc. are these guys you are working with certified