having problems with install of lower unit.

trx565

Recruit
i took the lower unit off of my 110 hp merc and i cant get the shift linkage to go back in right. i took it apart in neutral and as soon as it came apart the lower end shifted into forward gear and now even if reinstalled with shifter in gear the lower unit wont shift out of forward. i unhooked the linkage and tryed to shift manualy and it still wont come out of gear. is there a special way to get the lower unit to shift? the shift rod stayed in the upper case so im tring to get it lined up going into the lower. Is the shift rod supposed to be in the lower unit when it came out and if so how does it come out and how can i reajust the hight of the shift rod. please help if possable thanx.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: having problems with install of lower unit.

assuming it's a 1 drive.

ya need to seperate the lower and upper again.
then for ease of reinstalling the lower, but the remote in fwd. put the drive in fwd. the drive is in fwd with the prop locked ccw. you can shift it by turning the shift shaft. neutral is where the prop freewheels either direction. rev. is when the prop is locked cw. when installing the lower, it's easy to slip out of fwd. use a bungee cord to load the prop ccw and help keep it in fwd.
no height adg. but there is a washer that sits on top of the shift shaft in the lower. be sure it's there.
go to the adults only sticky and check out #9. download the one for yours. the proper service procedures are explained in these books.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

ziggy I'm assuming he's referring to an outboard.....

If you turn the driveshaft a little by hand will it let you shift it?

trx565

Recruit

you can't shift the lower unit because the shifting shaft is still in the top and i think it might have to come out and be put in the lower then installed does this sound right.yes its an outboard