1985 85 hp Force wont turn over

Rugby08

Recruit
I just bought a 1985 Bayliner with 85 hp Force. The engine hasn't run in 6 years but has good compression and turns over by hand with the spark plugs removed. I was told it had a seized starter. I checked it out, found corrasion on the starter hot lead and it turned over the engine with plugs out but not with them in. Moved a little but not much. Thinking the starter was bad/weak which I had read was common, I replaced it with a new one. I still have the same problem. I removed the exhaust cover thinking it may be plugged and turned it over, same thing. Could the selinoid be bad or something with the intake reeds? Any help would be appriciated.

Re: 1985 85 hp Force wont turn over

i couldn't get mine to turn over either but just today i replaced the ignition swith and its rolin over. i also have an 85 force outboard. hope i helped:)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check and clean all connections in the starter high current circuit, Rugby. Also confirm that the battery is fully charged.

Rugby08

Recruit

The battery is new and I had a charger on it for 8hrs and it still wouldn't turn over. I did clean off the cables to the starter, they were so corroded the starter wouldn't even fire. I will take a look at the other connections and try to bypass the starter switch to see if it will turn over. Thanks for the help. I need it.

john from md

Commander

Jumper the solinoid and see if she spins. If it does, change the solinoid. If not, you have a high resistance somewhere or a bad starter. I just bought a new one for my 85hp and had to send it back within a week because the bendix was bad.

A solinoid can pull and click but all that tells you is the electromagnet is working. If the contact points are pitted, you won't transfer enough amps to turn the starter. Voltage readings can be misleading in this situation.

Regards,

John

Rugby08

Recruit

Good call. I checked over the electrical connections and found a little corrosion on te battery connections. It spins over great now. Unfortunitly it still wont start. I have fuel to the carbs and good spark, but it wont run. The carbs smell like varnish so I think they are gummed up and need a good cleaning. Thanks for the help.

john from md

Commander

You can try this, it may save your tearing down your carbs.

1, loosen the bowl nut and let the fuel drain onto a rag.

2. Buy a can of DEEP Creep from an auto or boat store.

3. Fill the bowl by spraying Deep Creep in through the bowl vent on the side of the carb. Leave in for a couple of days. Then drain and pump fuel back into carbs.

This method works sometimes to get you started. Then I recommend you do a decarb treatment as written in page two of the engine FAQ.

Regards,

John

Rugby08

Recruit

I ended up pulling off the carbs and cleaning them out. Each had about an 1/8" worth of hard black crud in the bowls. The engine started right up after that. Ran a little fast. I found a bind in the throttle linkage. I freed that up and it ran great, till I put it in the water. It started skipping and then stalled and I haven't been able to get it to start since. I checked the park and fuel and they seem to be doing what they are supposed to do. Any ideas?

Thanks to all who responded to my posting. It was a big help so far and I really appriciate it.

john from md

Commander

Are you getting exhaust and water out of the mid leg relief ports?

Did you try spraying some gas in the intake to see if it would fire?

What do the plugs look like?

John