1996 Johnson 88 SPL V-4 Project

mjrkrash

Cadet
Hello from Dutch Harbor,

First a quick thanks to all the contributors to this site. You all have helped me get my winter project off the ground and in the water.

I have a 1996 Johnson 88 SPL V-4 that has gone through several owners with a fair amount of neglect and abuse. I am in the stages of going through and getting back to a reliable state.

Current issue. Both plugs in the upper cylinders are crusty white, while the two plugs in the lower cylinders look as they should. Rough idle, WOT feels as though one cylinder is starving on fuel. Idle is rough, with a noticeable miss.

I've de-carb'd, new plugs, new coils, new fuel pump, new fuel line and filter, bulb stays hard. Spark and compression are good on all four.

I have the carbs off now and have them cleaned out, waiting for the rebuild kits to come in the mail. (mail out in the Aleutians is slow. USPS priority can take 10 days from Seattle)

For those still looking for the carb rebuild / cleaning video from TMD - it is on youtube located here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMarineDoctor

If anyone has some special suggestions or tests I can run, please let me know. I have a service manual on the way - but again it could be a while before it gets here.

Have a great summer everyone. Thanks in advance for any and all help.