Merc 140 in progress, idles great but that's it

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class
1985 Merc I/O 140/4cyl

Initial problem: Was running out at 27 MPH and then all of a sudden - nothing. Engine comes to an immediate halt - lights, radio and electronics from both batteries on. Gas tank full.

Action: Sticky on HOW TO: Troubleshooting your engines starting system. passed all tests and determined it is not a part of the slave selinoid or ground. Replaced the spark plugs, SP wires, distributor cap, rotor and points.

Initial diagnosis: Determined that the problem was the points/rotor - mechanic showed up in time to install and adjust these, also made an adjustment to the carb. had the engine purring like a kitten at the dock.

New problem: Went through the no wake zone and as soon as the throttle was put down the engine sputters - it will keep running, but it will not accelerate. Can smell gas at times.

New action: checked that fuel is indeed coming in through the pump - took sample - showed no water in gas, checked filters for clogs - they are clean.

Not sure what it could be or what to look for next since I have exhausted my suspicions. Called the mechanic - but that's another story.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Merc 140 in progress, idles great but that's it

Read up on the how to trouble shoot your ignition system. Found also in te adult sticky.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc 140 in progress, idles great but that's it

Read up on the how to trouble shoot your ignition system. Found also in te adult sticky.

I did that per my post, printed it out and did it step by step -- thanks.

Howard - I know the firing order is correct because we double checked that - twice. will take a look at the timing again too.