Evinrude 90hp wont start sometimes

Tuma

Recruit
Not to sure what is going on, but was told to look at the electrical. So some basic information to start off with;

1985 Evenrude 90hp V4 VRO (VRO removed and use premix gas (50:1))

This winter I rebuilt both carburetors, new fuel filter, new gas line, new started gear, and replaced all the spark plugs. I was having this problem last year. The motor is cold hearted but will start up fine. This weekend I was out running at WOT for a while and the motor just stopped. It would not start right back up. But after 45 min or so I tried it again and it fired right up and ran like normal. I moved to another fishing spot and tried to for 15 min and thought I would try some where else. Again it would not start. So I fished the hole a little longer and tried the motor again. It started right up?!? It seems like I almost need to wait 45 min after each time I run the motor to get it going again or it won?t want to run.

What could this be :confused: Thank you for your time and help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 90hp wont start sometimes

sure sounds like something is heating up and failing. do it again, and check spark right there in the water, when it fails. you have 2 power packs, one for each side of the motor. if one side does not have spark, look at that power pack.

Tuma

Recruit

Thank you for the help I will have to give that a try that tonight.

Tuma

Recruit

I have a power pack for a 140 hp Johnson v4, would that work on my 90?