2001 Honda BF30A : Will not rev after warm-up

LabradorBoy

Cadet
I have been a lurker member of this site for some time, but have posted very little to date. I am about to purchase a Honda BF30A 4-stroke outboard for a great price from a guy that had some problems with it, then mothballed it.

The problem he was having revolved around the behaviour of the engine changing once it was warm. The cold start-up was stellar, the engine ran well, but when he tried to run it, it would work for a few minutes, then warm up and return to idle RPM only, no more RPM could be generated.

To me it sounds like a "limp mode" engaging where the electrical system senses that something is wrong and limits RPM to protect the engine. The head is off the engine currently and I am going to re-assemble it once I get the gaskets I need, check compression, get it running and start troubleshooting from there. Were there any common problems with the 30hp Honda that sounded like this?

I have searched and found some leads such as the auto-enrichener and the emulsion tube, but I was hoping that some of the experts out there could give some advice.