motor help, please?!

baja23

Cadet
Hello all. THe other day while getting ready to service my 4.3L lx mercruiser I noticed a brass cap under the motor that had come out and was sitting in the motor mount inbetween the mount and the block. what is it? I also noticed two big bolts in the back of the motor that look like they hook up to the outdrive that were backed about 3/4 inch up. They do not go through the transom, they go straight down behind the distributor and infront of the transom. I have been out of state for almost a year now, and the last time my boat was run, my brother had it out. So, now, big brother gets to go behind little brother and correct problems caused! Any help please would be great. Thanks in advance.

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: motor help, please?!

The engine froze last winter the brass piece os a freeze plug you may have a cracked engine block.The bolts in the back are the rear motor mounts and there is a spacer under it,it is suppost to be up like you said 3/4 of an inch.

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks like big brother might be facing a BIG bill... sorry to hear

baja23

Cadet

Yeah, big bill is kind of what I figured. So now, Im looking at other engine options. Can a 5.0 Mercrusier from the era be transplanted in? Has anyone done this before? Any ideas as to what I need to look out for?

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also need a different ratio outdrive. Need a 1.5 to 1 not the 1.84 to 1 for the v6.