1956 Bigtwin 30 hp

litymaspf

Cadet
I aquired a '56 30 hp big twin yesterday. It was givin to me by a friend. I am excited to get this runnin but have no idea where to start as I don't have much knowledge about these motors. This motor is twenty yrs older than I am! If anyone is interested in helping a beginner I would be greatly appriciative.

Thanks.
Todd

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1956 Bigtwin 30 hp

I brought a 30hp bigtwin back to life several years ago. Here's what I did:

(Assuming compression is good)

1. Rebuild the carb.
2. Inspect/replace any questionable fuel lines.
3. Pull the flywheel and clean and set the points - better yet, put a new set of points and condensors.
4. Inspect the coils - replace if cracks are evident.
5. Inspect ignition wires - replace if required.
6. Pull the lower unit and replace the water pump impeller.
7. Change the lower unit lube. If lube is milky - fix leak in l/u.
8. Give any grease fittings a fresh shot of grease.
9. Fire it up

I think this covers the basics, assuming there are no significant mechanical issues.

Mine ran great after I did this. Unfortunately, I sold the boat I ran it on. It has been sittin idle the last 5 yrears. My wife keeps asking why I'm hanging on to it. I keep telling her I have plans for it in the future when I retire up north on a lake. She keeps telling me I'll be on my own "up north on a lake". At least I'll have the old 30hp to tinker with and keep me company.

CATransplant

Admiral

Lucky you! Those are great old outboards, and can give excellent service, despite their age.

Read the following thread here:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

You can also search for "Big Twin" here on iboats.com. There are a number of people here who have or have had them, and there's plenty of expertise to help you with any problems you encounter.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Good advice so far. Engine Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) in the Repair & Maintenance section of the forums here has a bunch of resource info for you...particulary the Awakening A Sleeping Outboard thread.