78 Johnson 35 hp recoil question

lotsofish

Cadet
I need to replace the recoil on a 78 Johnson 35hp. I know for sure I can replace it with a recoil from a 78 25hp, 78 35hp, 79 25hp or a 79 35hp - the part numbers are the same on those models. What about other year models? The recoil from a 75-77 looks exactly the same, at least from the outside. Would it work?

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 78 Johnson 35 hp recoil question

If they look the same odds are its going to work but you need to make sure the bolt patterns are the same.

If the spring is broke you can just buy that instead of the whole unit.
I would shop ebay and then ask the Seller questions to make sure its the right part.

lotsofish

Cadet

That's what my thoughts were too, but I looked it up on http://epc.brp.com/ and the 78 25hp and 79 25hp & 35hp are the only ones with part numbers that match mine. Other ones (say, 75-81) look the same, but their part numbers are different so I was hoping someone had some experience with other part numbers matching up and if they work or not.

Actually the part that is broken is the housing. About an inch and a half diameter around the center nut cracked all the way around. Interestingly, the crack wasn't comlpetely round (the coil did not unwind) and it does still work, just not very well. The coil gets stuck and it's "loose", but it will pull the rope back with a little help. I thought about trying to find someone that could weld it back in place, but the broken part would have to be raised up a little somehow and it doesn't look like it would work very well.

jethro66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a spare recoil from a 72 25.Give me a offer..