(first) Used Boat Purhcase

clubgitmo

Recruit
I appologize in advanced if this is posted alot - Here goes -

New to boat ownership. I'm looking for a small boat to dive with.Will be used in bays, lakes, and maybe some inshore gulf trips. I'm thinking a small center console would suit me best, as I need it to be towable with a Ford Ranger...

Anyhow - I found this 76' Mako forsale locally. Haven't looked at it yet, so what are some things I should look for/inspect? What's a fair price? Anything else I need to know? I guess right now I don't know enough to know what I don't know - YA KNOW?

http://dothan.craigslist.org/boa/1160059793.html

Also - Before anyone says "search" - Ive been readin these forums for a while this evening. GREAT info. Thanks guys!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: (first) Used Boat Purhcase

SEARCH!!! :D

Just had to say that ;)

Welcome to iboats! Nice looking boat and I think it is on the high side of price. 33 years old? He was planning to do a restoration...WHY? He states it is rock solid and he has owned it for only a short time. I don't know why but it makes me leary of the boat but....that is only my opinion.

Just consider this he is asking way too much. If it was a Boston Whaler it would be closer since they fetch top dollar.

I would get somone who is familiar with boats (actually a surveyor but they do charge the bucks), motors and current pricing.

NADAguides.com has that boat listed at under a grand. I am not trying to pop your bubble just being honest. That is half the price of some brand new rigs on the same craigslist.

Once again welcome and I suggest you keep shopping. :)

clubgitmo

Recruit

Thanks for the come back Bob! :)

Just as well I guess. RIght after I posted this message the owner got back to me saying it had been sold. Guess it's asking to much these days to take down your own ads :rolleyes:

Anyhow. Ill be searchin some local boat dealers and the such tomorrow - So hopefully something will turn up.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well the slow economy is actually in the buyers corner. If your goinf to go diving ...... I will tell you that an I/O like a 3.0 liter mercruiser will give you some decent economy...... consider a small cuddy cabin to stow your gear.... all basically in your size.

Check the iboats classified for boats too.

Keep in touch!

Bob_VT

Staff member

BTW first boat? Consider a Coast Guard boating course ;)