99 4.3 in a 182 BR click no crank warning tone intermittent

docoakley01

Cadet
Hello there. Wanted a boat all my life finally bought a used last fall. Winterized it, topped with fuel before and used Stabil. Boat cranked and fired up, but did not give power so I suspect water sep filter probably needs to be replaced. While messing with that, the boat would not crank. Gives a warning tone, and I hear a click from a solenoid I believe on the top of the engine betweent the carb and coil, but no crank. The at times it will crank and start. Not sure what ghost I am fighting. The engine vent blower also squealed and failed, but I don't believe that is tied to the ignition but could be wrong, was five wires going to it. So I am pretty fair on cars, but not on boats yet. Any ideas? It appears it is a safety device preventing crank but could be wrong. Engine did not overheat, gauges read fine. Any help would be appreciated, going to change plugs and do the water sep tomorrow along with replacement of the blower. Battery is fully charged also. Seems this should be easy but I am already a frustrated boater!!!!!

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 99 4.3 in a 182 BR click no crank warning tone intermittent

On the starter there is a yellow with a red tracer wire (on the small terminal by the eng. block)put a test light on it and have someone try to crank it over if the light comes on you got power to it and it is most likely the starter silanoid.

docoakley01

Cadet
Re: 99 4.3 in a 182 BR click no crank warning tone intermittent

Thanks will do. Was not certain if these buggers get intermittent issues or not. So if no power there I will work backwards. I see it has a slave solenoid, and that is what is making my clicking noise. I will go to the adults section and see if I can find a diagram. Not certain the failure rates on the slave solenoid, or if they ever fail intermittent or just die period. I do see they are reasonably priced.