Alumacraft Model F

I've got an older Alumacraft boat that I'm trying to properly identify. The plate on the inside of the transom says it's a Model F. I'm not real familiar with Alumacraft's so I don't know if I'm missing something or not. I have seen Model FD's, but no F's. Is there somewhere else I need to look ? The boat is a 14'. The bow of the boat has a small deck, approx. 3 1/2'. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Vintage Aluminum

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Alumacraft Model F

You are reading it correctly. Model F was a pretty popular upgrade from the lighter weight Model A 14 footer for AlumaCraft. So the progression for 14 footers in terms of capacity and price was Model A, Model F and then Model FD. In '59 they added the lower end AL, FL, FDL etc. line...but the F was apparently a leading boat throughout the 1950's, at least. This is for the basic fishing boats, at least. They are reasonably common at least in part because they were made so well. Almost indistructable. 18 hp was tops till 1959 when it bumped up to 20hp. Boat is pretty fast with this level of power. Covered deck was an option as were potentially four different non-tiller steering options, paint options, etc. Nice boat...enjoy it.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

The transom plate should identify the boat model and capacity horse power and weight ratings. To verify the year and get more information you can use the boat ID# thats stamped on the top of the transom brace and calling Alumacraft at 507-931-1050 or email from their web site.

The model F was Alumacrafts most popular and most sold boat and a deck is a added option. You have very desirable boat. The model F set the standard. The FD and other models came from it.

For others to see a model F. I took these pictures last September of a 1959 model F (without deck).

Photograph46CE50.jpg

Photograph41CE50.jpg

Photograph49CE50.jpg

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Vintage... Didn't see your post, as I was doing mine.

Thank you, as I'm learning from you. What I know is only through years of picking up remembered scattered info and by actually seeing the boats.

Thank you for the information. I'm going to check on the transom brace for other numbers and call alumacraft, also. What years were the model F manufactured ? Thanks again for your help.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have any literature on the boats. Maybe someone else knows? They were made in early 50's and into the 60's. The heaver, stronger, dimensionally same model F7 replaced the F but I feel compromises are made between the F and F7. These boats are meant to be small light versatile boats, so a model F can still have advantages over a heaver F7 boat and I do like the model F air sealed flotation seats.

I'll add a little story about the above pictured boat... That boat & trailer was put out for sale at a local bait & tackle shop by a older gentleman because he bought a new flat bottom boat. The shop proprietor then put one of his own motors on it. A few days later the gentleman took his rig back and he also bought the motor. He said when he would drive buy and see his boat he had to have it back and also with that motor.

That boat is 100% original, with not even a drilled hole to it. I'm glad he took it back and I now know who has it and being about four miles from me.
I hear often of selling these boats and regretting it later.

Shizzy

Ensign

That boat is 100% original, with not even a drilled hole to it. I'm glad he took it back and I now know who has it and being about four miles from me.
I hear often of selling these boats and regretting it later.
for that reason, I plan to keep my FD even if I upgrade someday. as cool as nice big powerful boats are its always nice to drop your tinny in, pull the cord and go for a leisurley putt around the lake.

red71gs

Seaman Apprentice
When my father came home from the Korean war he bought a 1958 Alumacraft model f with a 10hp johnson. The old green metal top twin hose johnson..on a gator trailer. He kept this boat for many years and when he got too old to use it he gave it to me. I still have it with a 6hp johnson on the back sitting on the same gator trailer....It was boat number 1 for me......and since have made a life hobby of buying selling and enjoying boats.....I just bought another model F for my niece and nephew to lean all about boating as I did some 50 years ago......BTW this latest purchase is boat number 142 for me......sigh....its a sickness.....LOL...dave

jbcurt00

Staff member
Old inactive topic Red

Please refrain from posting in inactive topics, 90days+ w/out any updates from whoever started the topic

Start a topic about your current model F and the one you just bought. Interesting story on its own.

Thanks