Carburetor Linkage OMC

diobe

Cadet
Hi,

After reading this fourm and other sources I figured out my carb is actually a automotive one installed by a previous owner.

I know from reading several other posts that this is not safe, and I was having stumbling issues anyhow, so I ordered a proper 4 Barrel Rochester from National to replace the Holly "Street Avenger" doubble pumper that was on my 5.0 Cobra.

The ordered and recieved the marine CARB is the first on the below page:

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/marinecarburetorsforless/fourbarrelrochester.aspx

Also after some reasearch I also believe the engine was way over carbbed with the high CFM street Holley.

So I go about mounting the new carb changing lines to make the doubble line single etc... then I go to connect the throttle linkage...

The black connector now doesn't reach the linkage + even if it did the acceleration movement from the linkage is towards the bow but the acceleration movement on the carb is to the stern. So basically the movement are exact opposite compared to how they need to be.

I figure the holly was "jerry rigged" to work by the installer and the new unit doesn't have the corrrect "lever/bracket/linkage" to work. There is a big hole up top that requires opposite movement (& My black throttle connector doesn't come close to reaching) and the 2 small holes on the bottom to the linkage dont line up and don't look like they should be used to connect to, even if the black throttle connecter could reach & line up to connect to them.

Can I buy the correct linkage (looks like a screw attachment) and throttle cable bracket (perhaps the correct linkage would eliminate the need for a new bracket - I don't know as I haven't seen an original factory set-up) Or Am I stuck with trying to get a new carb? I don't like this idea as it cost me just about $500 canadian for the one I have with tax, currency conversion and shipping added.

In an original set-up does the throttle cable bracket bolt to the engine intake manifold or the 2 back carb bolt holes? It seems I will need to move up a new bracket to reach & connect once I get the correct linkage.

I have other posts running and I promise to follow up on once I get results - but for now all I have is problems and few resolutions.

Thanks,

Diobe

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Carburetor Linkage OMC

Can you take a picture of your current carburetor's throttle linkage and post it?

diobe

Cadet

Here are some pic's. I hope this clarify's the situation.

I'd love to just be able to buy a different bracket for the carb and attach to the throttle cable

:D

Attachments

• Top Shot Resized 2.jpg
    Top Shot Resized 2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Top Side Shot resized.jpg
    Top Side Shot resized.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 4
  • Side Shot resized.jpg
    Side Shot resized.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's what my throttle linkage looks like. 4.3 Cobra.

Attachments

• throttle.jpg
    throttle.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5

diobe

Cadet

Seems according to I5 Components on ebay I have a MerCarb Linkage as opposed to an OMC.

It looks plausable that my throttle cable could attach directly to the bottom hole if I had the OMC version bracket.

Any opinions? Anyone know Where to buy? I will be calling National Carburators where I bought my carb first thing tomorrow, and I did inform them of the model of my sterndrive when ordered.

Attachments

• OMC Linkage.jpg
    OMC Linkage.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Mercarb Linkage.jpg
    Mercarb Linkage.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2

lekmedm

Seaman

I'm far from being an expert, but when I replaced my Holley 4160, I had to transfer a bracket from the original carb over to the new one to have a place to attach the throttle cable. I'm guessing that you are missing that piece since you are switching over to a completely different carb.

Good luck. :)