Volvo AQ131D to AQ260B rev 7

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well just got back from the first lake test finally, and uuuhhh I believe Kang and Kodos the aliens from the Simpsons said it best when they said "wholly farking snit" I was worried the extra 350lbs of motor would have it sit low in the back end, not the case, this thing rips holly crap!!!!!!!!! It is so stupid that with no trim tabs or smart tabs or nothing it planes out in like 2 seconds and is going 40 mph in like 12 seconds only to about 4000 rpm. but this is my ski prop a 15" x 17 pitch the 14" x 21 pitch prop is the cruiser and will probably get the 4400rpm. WOT once I tune 'er up a tad more and probably 15 or 20mph more. Other than the holley 4160 hesitating a tad, I need to fine tune the idle circuit to vacumn, and starter, need new switch that I have. My god what a hoot!! So I can safely eat more now that I have so much torque to pull me up on skis. Hah Hah!! Waters too cold to try yet but I know it'll get me up like nothing!! Question though in order to align the bell housing to the transom shiels I did align all 3 tabs to bang on but there's only 3 threads left on the motor mounts to get that vertical alignment. Should I have shimmed the mounts so the alignment would be more in the "middle" of the adjustment studs on the mounts? Thanks for all the tips everyone wow what a blast. This motor is running very cool as well, good oil pressure, had to run so couldn't do a good comp test warm, storm set in!! but will pull plugs see what they look like. Ya hoo Did I say wow yet!!??

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo AQ131D to AQ260B rev 7

Thats what I'm talkin' about.:cool:

Here's a few thoughts I had

Your prop numbers don't seem right. You should be overeving with that 17".

I'm running a 21 and getting 4400 rpm with mine.

What size boat are you running with that setup?

If your running a Holley Does that make it a AQ271?

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I was having choke plate issues, and idle screws setup isn't perfect yet and just being gentle I'm not in a hurry going to break 'er in nice. It's a total hybrid it has the 280B leg so it's "like " an AQ260B but that's it, casting numbers is calling it anywhere from 76 to 88 "2" or "4" bolt main GM 350 it has the BID from an AQ271 or AQ311 and although there's a sticker on the bell housing calling it a Volvo Penta there's nothing on the block, it has crome valve covers and an edelbrock performer RPM intake so there's nothing really identifying the motor as a Volvo Penta GM, probably isn't. So I'll have better info tomorrow the prop shaft has some runout I'll dial it after tomorrow's putt and the prop is dinged a bit so that off balance and runout may keep 'er from opening right up. Dunno I'll see how it goes tomorrow but man does it go, well compared to what I had anyways it really sets you back in your seat. It's a 3000lb 20ft. Renken 2000CC full cuddy from 1989.

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well got most of the carb stuff sorted out today and, yeah feels like I could get 5000rpm out of it so I could easily overrev it. Am I hearing the vacumn secondaries closing when I back off from 4200rpm, or is there some other oddity going on? It just hesitates at around 1000 rpm and will stall unless I tickle it past, then it's no problem. Trying to set primary float level with the sight plug removed, the level is low but trying to adjust that level with the Holley setup it doesn't seem to adjust the float level, just leaks from the jam nut and adjuster on top of the float chamber. So I know it's a tad lean plugs look on the OK side of lean. Still OMG this thing cruises 10mph faster than the AQ131D top speed with a slow prop even!!. Having a good look at the stringers and mounts todayas there is so much torque and horsepower now I want to be sure I'm not ripping anything apart. Oh wht fun.